Hops popping already!!

Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:44 pm

Its only march and the hops that Ive been growing for a few years have never popped up this early in Michigan. Today I weeded and fertilized and did terellis maintainance. Can't wait to see what kind of a production this year brings.
Blunt
On tap: Centennial IPA
Bottled: Bock III
Secondary: Pale Ale
Primary:
Because I am German. I can’t help it. I am biologically incapable of NOT brewing.”
Blunt

Re: Hops popping already!!

Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:29 am

Yeah, mine popped several weeks ago too. Not too out of the ordinary for California, but still pretty early. Happening in Michigan too, that's crazy! Are you worried about a late frost doing damage? We still have some cold nights left here, but nothing that's going to hurt the hops (I hope).
I wouldn't use me as an example.
Chemiker

Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:38 pm

We are expecting a cold spell early in April, but I hope it doesn't hurt anything. I have some varieties that are second year and some that are 3rd and 4th years, the second year ones I may give a little more care. Hopefully this early start will also mean an early harvest.
Blunt
On tap: Centennial IPA
Bottled: Bock III
Secondary: Pale Ale
Primary:
Because I am German. I can’t help it. I am biologically incapable of NOT brewing.”
Blunt

Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:04 am

My Centennial I got and put in the ground 6 weeks ago sprouted up last week. The Cascade that I have had in the ground for 2 seasons is showing nothing. Curious. :?
A woman drove me to drink, and I never had the courtesy to thank her-W.C. Fields
scotchpine

Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:14 am

Yup, here in NY too. And they're looking a bit crazy this year too. They're just sprouting up everywhere
Hessian Lake

Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:19 am

All mine are up in S.Illinois...unseasonably warm winter here.
TimmyR

Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:31 am

Hops a poppin..Mohawk Valley , NY .....Magnums are almost 5-6 in.....Centennials grow real well in this area. I am ready to mulch over if pesky frost should appear. QUESTION: If the young bines get nipped by frost do you break them off and wait for the second growth. The hops are 50 % 2nd year. I hear western farms train 2nd growth bines. Do any of the northern cold region homegrowers do this or just be happy for what we have coming out of the ground and start training?
Eldorado/ Lemon Drop Summer IPA
German Bock
Boh Pils brewed on a 96 degree day.
gwk453

Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:51 am

i always clip the first round of bines...they seem to overgrow my space before harvest time if I let them go for too long
On Deck: porter, berliner weisse
Fermenting: xtra pale
In the keg/bottle: golden delicious apple cider, brown rice lager, german pils
EL TIZZO

Next

Return to Homegrown