Re: Hop Rhizomes or Potted Hop Plant?

Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:38 pm

Its finally warm enough for me to plant my 'zomes that have been mocking me from my fridge the last week!!! I decided to plant them in some half wine barrels instead of the ground... At least for the first year
Captain Scotch

Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:08 am

Captain Scotch, I'm just north of you, about 15 minutes north of the WI/IL border. I have had great luck growing Willamette right in the ground. I started with one single 'zome and now it's grown huge. Last year, I pulled off 4 big freezer bags of hops and dried them - I could have taken much more.

Usually in the spring, I will cut chunks of the plant off (to keep it as a manageable size) and I sell them on Craigslist...

If you ever make it up this way, I'd be happy to break off a few plants/roots for you to try.
Hedgehog

Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:16 pm

Hedgehog wrote:Captain Scotch, I'm just north of you, about 15 minutes north of the WI/IL border. I have had great luck growing Willamette right in the ground. I started with one single 'zome and now it's grown huge. Last year, I pulled off 4 big freezer bags of hops and dried them - I could have taken much more.

Usually in the spring, I will cut chunks of the plant off (to keep it as a manageable size) and I sell them on Craigslist...

If you ever make it up this way, I'd be happy to break off a few plants/roots for you to try.

Like Mars Cheese Castle and Brat Stop area?!?! I love me some Kenosha and Racine! :drink
Right now I have 4 types of hops in half barrels and I'll see how they do for a year or two before deciding where to let them go crazy in the ground in the backyard
Captain Scotch

Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:29 am

The Cheese Castle is indeed a regular Bloody Mary stop! Keep in touch if you are passing through and would like to grab a few chunks of Willamette.

Cheers!
Hedgehog

Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:33 pm

Will do, we'll be making our annual trip to The Seven Mile Fair this summer!
Captain Scotch

Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:53 pm

Captain where are you planning to them in the ground, bucket?
barleyboy

Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:35 pm

barleyboy wrote:Captain where are you planning to them in the ground, bucket?

I have 4 'zomes planted in wooden barrels at the moment. I have 8 ft long poles that I will put in the barrels and tie twine to the top and secure it to eye bolts attached to the barrel. I would like to figure out a way to get something that is closer to 10 feet high, but I would probably have to secure the twine to the house and I'm scared to drill holes in my brick!

Captain Scotch

Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:39 pm

Already getting leaves on the small shoots coming out after only a week! They're so cute!
Captain Scotch

Previous

Return to Homegrown