Re: Homebrew v. Pro Brew

Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:03 pm

My job involves being in a car for several hours a day & my daily listening is archived episodes of the Session. I set up a smartlist to give me fresh, old content daily & I'm calling bullshit on the homebrew topics being 'worn out'. Go back & listen to some of the ideas & theories that were being discussed in 07. There's a ton of misinformation & holes in a lot of those conversations. The brewing industry as a whole has learned & discovered a lot of shit in the last 5 years, correcting a lot of former assumptions. Homebrewing, especially, has progressed light years since then. I believe a lot of the old topics could be looked at & discussed in a whole new light. Not to mention having a few more viewpoints than just Daniella, Justin & Doc talking about stuff when only 1 of them had a clue, like the first segment of shows.

I don't know if I would have made the same post as FilmLabRat, but I can't say I entirely disagree with him either. I'm just going to let my tongue continue to bleed from all the bite marks on that though.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:03 pm

I enjoy the Session. It's the main reason I send in my monthly donation. I spend a lot of time in my car and it gets me through that. It's entertaining.

And I do sometimes/often get something out of the pro-brewer interviews that I can apply at the homebrew level. For example: I just recently listened to the Crooked Stave episode again, and that, in conjunction with what the guys at Free Tail had to say about brett brews, gave me some ideas about building up protein in the beer to simulate the mouthfeel you get from sacc fermentations.

Also, I'd like to hear more about what Jeremy from Lagunitas has to say about the impact of residual sanitizer on beer flavor.

So I don't have a beef with the Session at all at this point. I would like to see more overall content on the BN in general though.
Tygo

Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:14 pm

Ozwald wrote:I don't know if I would have made the same post as FilmLabRat, but I can't say I entirely disagree with him either.

+1

I continue to enjoy the BN and take what I want from each episode whether it be brewing knowledge, tom-fuckery or a means of socializing with fellow brewers and friends. At the same time I understand and deeply respect the amount of work and thankless hours that are put in, day in and day out. There are plenty of unseen challenges that exist and continue to grow when sustaining a brewing show that strives to sound fresh after all of these years. Not every great band puts out a slew of platinum albums and likewise not every guest and interview will be a homerun. But honestly at the end of the day people, this is a hobby. A FUCKING hobby about beer that is meant to be fun. Let's not confuse this for some regal Fortune 500 operation where every "i" gets dotted and every "t" always gets crossed.

It is very easy to negatively criticize something but for those who really think they are part of the BN Army, help support the BN and help shape it into something even better with CONSTRUCTIVE criticism. Hell even a criticism sandwich will do. Support does not solely need to come from your wallet. Being a monthly donor does not equate to hearing a better interview or more brewing knowledge in the future. If you find yourself listening to a live show and not getting any brewing info, don't sit there and complain that you didn't learn anything. Be proactive in your education, speak up and ask a question that helps to get some brewing info into the show.

None of us here are master brewers so let's not pretend like it. There is no reason why we as BN'ers can't ask great questions that help facilitate a great conversation. Everyone is entitled to their opinion without being bashed but for those who solely complain, well maybe that is the reason pro brewers are hesitant to deal with homebrewers.
Afterlab

Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:42 am

Afterlab wrote:
Ozwald wrote:I don't know if I would have made the same post as FilmLabRat, but I can't say I entirely disagree with him either.

+1

I continue to enjoy the BN and take what I want from each episode whether it be brewing knowledge, tom-fuckery or a means of socializing with fellow brewers and friends. At the same time I understand and deeply respect the amount of work and thankless hours that are put in, day in and day out. There are plenty of unseen challenges that exist and continue to grow when sustaining a brewing show that strives to sound fresh after all of these years. Not every great band puts out a slew of platinum albums and likewise not every guest and interview will be a homerun. But honestly at the end of the day people, this is a hobby. A FUCKING hobby about beer that is meant to be fun. Let's not confuse this for some regal Fortune 500 operation where every "i" gets dotted and every "t" always gets crossed.

It is very easy to negatively criticize something but for those who really think they are part of the BN Army, help support the BN and help shape it into something even better with CONSTRUCTIVE criticism. Hell even a criticism sandwich will do. Support does not solely need to come from your wallet. Being a monthly donor does not equate to hearing a better interview or more brewing knowledge in the future. If you find yourself listening to a live show and not getting any brewing info, don't sit there and complain that you didn't learn anything. Be proactive in your education, speak up and ask a question that helps to get some brewing info into the show.

None of us here are master brewers so let's not pretend like it. There is no reason why we as BN'ers can't ask great questions that help facilitate a great conversation. Everyone is entitled to their opinion without being bashed but for those who solely complain, well maybe that is the reason pro brewers are hesitant to deal with homebrewers.

Well said. I was way too drunk last night to write anything this detailed. Nicely done.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:58 pm

I still very much enjoy the Session, and as posted previously and in life, it ain't always aces, but that 3-4 hours really takes the edge off a 12hr work day.

Actually, I miss the absolute hell out of CYBI. Hearing they had to cut it due to brewers not willing to dole out recipes is both unfortunate and understandable, but what a show for some of the most up to date brewing info.
duckmanco

Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:36 pm

Personally... I'm really liking the Session right now. The past few months have brought some interesting stuff, most notably the brewcaster challenge. Hearing how the two brewers approached the beer and brewed it is fantastic to hear, and is giving out some great info. Recent sessions like the Audacity of Hops episode were great to listen to and everyone who works on making the show great are clearly putting heaps of energy into what they do. So yeah... I'm liking what's happening.
peas_and_corn

Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:45 am

duckmanco wrote:Actually, I miss the absolute hell out of CYBI. Hearing they had to cut it due to brewers not willing to dole out recipes is both unfortunate and understandable, but what a show for some of the most up to date brewing info.

+1.

I understand why, but I am still :comp
"Mash, I made you my bitch!" -Tasty
Dirk McLargeHuge
Global Moderator

Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:25 pm

As a long time listener and supporter of the BN (longer than most), I will say the Sunday Session has changed. The focus early on was the homebrewer techniques and has switched. In my eyes this has been for the better. You can hit the basics and advanced but at some point you have covered it all, which the session has. Plus you have the offshoot shows that give plenty of information for the homebrewer.

The Sunday Session is still the cornerstone of the BN Network and I still get a piece or two of information from every show. At this point in my brewing career (20ish years) that's all I can hope for and what keeps me listening (in addition to the "funness" of the show) but newer brewers will pick up more, even listening to the "pro" brewers. The banter, side information, and newer features are good if you really listen.

The fact is that the BN, through new shows and archives, has the best information on the internet for all levels of brewers. I still buy books for specific topics but listen to the podcast (sometimes live) of the Sunday/Monday show and dl the episodes of other shows that meets my needs. All of the crew is great. I recommend the site/archives to all new brewers and have received to negative feedback from friends. Pretty much all homebrewing issues have been dealt with through the shows or correspondence through brewcastors and new ides are represented by the pros in interviews.

I said my piece, time for another beer, and I hope everyone realizes what the BN brings to all brewers.
-I live in my own little world. But that's okay because they know me there.
-Even if alcohol does kill off brain cells, we all know alcohol goes for the slower, weaker ones first -- making your brain more sleek and efficient.
numsquat

PreviousNext

Return to The Sunday Session