Re: The Art of Fermentation

Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:47 am

I've been experimenting with sauerkraut this year too. The last batch was my absolute favorite, fermented in a sealed jar with an airlock. No worries about mold or air contact. Chopped up 10 lbs of cabbage (some red) and let it go a month controlled to 68F. It was summer time and didn't want to risk it getting too hot. Turned out great. The first batch I ever did I pitched a starter made from the sauerkraut juice (exclusively) into a Gose wort and it turned out surprisingly well. It was rough at first but came around after ~4 months.

Freshly chopped:

After a week or so. Should have installed a blow-off tube!

Culture pitched into the Gose wort:

Fermenting:
Next:
Fermenting: Cider, Azacca Oat Pils, Egregious-ish, Lambic, Carrot Blossom Cedar Mead, Brett Helles
Drinking: RIS, Doppelbock, Sauerkraut Gose, Lambic, Brett Blonde, Kriek, Saison, Rye Berliner
Barrel aged: RIS, Rye Barleywine, Tripel
dstar26t

Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:06 am

Great interview with Sandor! He has been my fermentation Guru. He actually got me into homebrewing Back in 2003 when I got a zine copy of Wild Fermentation. Hundreds of gallons of Beer, mead, cider, Krauts, Kimchis, yogurts, Kefirs, Kombucha's, pickles, sourdoughs, breads, vinegar, and cheeses later, and I have him to thank. Definitely pick up a copy of The Art of Fermentation, it's a must for all your bookshelves. Thanks Brewing Network.
Chrisdelaware

Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:20 am

Just ordered it via the Amazon link from the BN homepage, 25 cents for the boys to boot.
Heck of a deal with the free shipping and all for $26.

NB
NoBeard

Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:18 pm

screw and brew wrote:
mike____ wrote:
screw and brew wrote:A crocheted afghan for the canner of the week!

Is believe it's pronounced 'ass-ghan'. :asshat:
:D

ass-ghan = a crocheted g-string = very comfortable, breathable, and absorbent.

My wife could make that for you....
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:18 pm

spiderwrangler wrote:
mike____ wrote:
Is believe it's pronounced 'ass-ghan'. :asshat:

ass-ghan = a crocheted g-string = very comfortable, breathable, and absorbent.

My wife could make that for you....

Tempting spider. I could surprise my wife. :shock:
Screw the nutters, it's assghans all-around at NHC 2014!

Gimme oysters and beer (and Durian) for dinner every day of the year...
mike____

Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:31 am

I like those kraut fermentors dstar. How did you get the airlocks on those jars - aren't the lids glass? I've used those same kind of jars for kraut without the airlocks. I just save an outer leaf of the cabbage and use it to fully cover the surface area of the kraut. Then I place an appropriate size bit of the cabbage core on the leaf so that when I clasp down the lid it acts as a press keeping the cabbage submerged. I don't clasp it all the way down because you do get a little blow-off from the active fermentation. I just put a towel under the jar and watch the lacto-sex.

I've those about using the kraut yeast culture in beer as well but haven't done it yet. What kind of flavor contribution do you get from the yeast in your Gose? How well did it attenuate?
screw and brew

Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:00 pm

screw and brew wrote:I like those kraut fermentors dstar. How did you get the airlocks on those jars - aren't the lids glass? I've used those same kind of jars for kraut without the airlocks. I just save an outer leaf of the cabbage and use it to fully cover the surface area of the kraut. Then I place an appropriate size bit of the cabbage core on the leaf so that when I clasp down the lid it acts as a press keeping the cabbage submerged. I don't clasp it all the way down because you do get a little blow-off from the active fermentation. I just put a towel under the jar and watch the lacto-sex.

I've those about using the kraut yeast culture in beer as well but haven't done it yet. What kind of flavor contribution do you get from the yeast in your Gose? How well did it attenuate?

You can buy those jars on Amazon pre-drilled & grommeted. They only show up if you use the BN link on the homepage though :wink:
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:25 am

The one in the pics is a 5 Liter Pickl-It. After a month I transfer to quart mason jars and chill. I get more sourness from the fermentation in the airlocked vessel.

The Sauerkraut Gose fermented from 1.038 down to 1.00425 in 7 days. I haven't taken a gravity reading since so it may be lower now. Pitched at 68F and held there, no oxygenation. 24 hours after pitching, pH was 4.84. 1/4" of krausen after 48 hours. Very fruity smelling fermentation, quite pleasing actually. After 7 days, pH was 3.93. Slight tartness. Strong clove aroma and flavor. Impression of salt with a slick mouthfeel. Soapy/oxicleanish/phenolic impression. After 4 months, the rough flavors faded/matured into something drinkable. There isn't enough coriander so I plan to add some back. Should turn out nice but I'm glad I only did a 4 gallon batch. It would be better with some more sourness which may come with time.

Nate
Next:
Fermenting: Cider, Azacca Oat Pils, Egregious-ish, Lambic, Carrot Blossom Cedar Mead, Brett Helles
Drinking: RIS, Doppelbock, Sauerkraut Gose, Lambic, Brett Blonde, Kriek, Saison, Rye Berliner
Barrel aged: RIS, Rye Barleywine, Tripel
dstar26t

PreviousNext

Return to The Sunday Session