Re: Is JP a beer snob

Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:59 pm

You've obviously never had an amazing session beer. They don't have to be boring, they don't have to have low IBUs & a great one will definitely have a fantastic malt character. What I originally said regarding Jipp's palette had nothing to do with the fact that he enjoys session beers. Whenever they're tasting something take a second to listen to what he's actually saying, especially in the few moments when he's being 100% serious. Also, it's not a 'sophisticated' thing. I enjoy session beers because I like to drink. I don't find it all that much fun to blow out my palette or get too intoxicated to fully appreciate an amazing beer after I've had 2 of them. If it's that mind blowing, I want to drink 12 of them.... and enjoy the last one as much as the first. It's extremely difficult to brew a low gravity beer that's absolutely fantastic. Anyone besides Justin can brew above 1.056 & get a pretty damn good beer out of it. There's tons of places for the flaws to hide. Like great pilsner, it's insanely difficult to dip below 1.038 & still brew something that's flawless all the while having a full flavored beer. However, that doesn't make it 'sophisticated' or better than higher gravity beers.

I'll be the first to admit that my palate is not as educated/developed as a lot of folks, I remember back in the 90s when my dad and my cousin introduced me to good beer, I can't say that I loved it but it did pique my interest and I kept coming back for more, gradually and I brewed my first beer 18 months ago and have brewed at least 35 since then

I actually made a 3.2% Dry stout and scored a 37.66.

It had great roasty aroma which I notice is lacking in a lot of stouts other folks make. But like I said I'm still an embryo with a long long way to go. I do agree that the IPA fad is played out though.

But I love all beers, even Bud Light makes for a great palate cleanser between good beers :jnj

Check me out in my first competition, it's an ongoing thing and the final one is next month but I need over 8 points to beat the guy in first place:

http://sjworthogs.org/WotYResults.html

I'm Scott Bailey
Fermenting: Black IPA, Barley Wine, Cider and Imperial Stout

Current man crush: Warren

Previous man crushes: Nathan, Tasty, JP and Justin

Future man crush: Maybe Jamil or Doc

:bnarmy: SGT ScottyB-Brewing :bnarmy:
ScottyB-Brewing

Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:06 pm

Dirk McLargeHuge wrote:
PorkSlapper wrote:I understand JP. I can drink an IPA every once in awhile but I would much rather have an Oatmeal stout. Just my personal preference.

I think that's it in a nutshell. I wouldn't say JP's a beer snob. He knows what he likes and he isn't afraid to say so. That's what makes him so dreamy! :unicornrainbow:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, JP is one YummY piece of man candy. I could listen to him talk all ding dong day and I'm not even gay :unicornrainbow: for the most part
Fermenting: Black IPA, Barley Wine, Cider and Imperial Stout

Current man crush: Warren

Previous man crushes: Nathan, Tasty, JP and Justin

Future man crush: Maybe Jamil or Doc

:bnarmy: SGT ScottyB-Brewing :bnarmy:
ScottyB-Brewing

Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:02 pm

KiltedDrummer wrote:
Dirk McLargeHuge wrote:
PorkSlapper wrote:I understand JP. I can drink an IPA every once in awhile but I would much rather have an Oatmeal stout. Just my personal preference.

I think that's it in a nutshell. I wouldn't say JP's a beer snob. He knows what he likes and he isn't afraid to say so. That's what makes him so dreamy! :unicornrainbow:

I disagree, I think we're finally moving towards the ultimate beer snob. Through poor and/or questionable uses of logic I'll explain. Most people drink BMC, those that drink craft beer are beer snobs. IPA (and this is where the logic gets questionable) has become the American Light Lager of the craft beer world, everybody is expected to have at least one, and probably has 4 that taste close to the same. Craft beer snobs see IPA drinkers as the new BMC drinkers and shun them and the style. Eventually, we'll be down to one beer snob that refuses to drink anything but seasonals from some brewery you've never heard of and will only drink it if nothing like that particular beer has ever been produced by another brewery. It will also need to be sour and only made in a cool ship and only if it's spelled koelschip.

So yes, JP is a beer snob, and he's the first in the next evolutionary jump, like Professor X.

Sounds more like you're describing beer hipsters.
peas_and_corn

Previous

Return to The Sunday Session