cider recipe

Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:30 pm

did that guy last week give an actual cider recipe? he mentioned tannin and some other wine additive but I don't remember amounts....or even sugar etc
bkov

Re: cider recipe

Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:36 am

There are so many variables (depending on source/brand of juice) that I think the focus was more on how to bring the cider to where you want it than trying to give out recipes. Here's the recipe to the first cider I made, though.

4 gallons Mott's Apple Juice
    1 gallon Cherry JuicyJuice
    Yeast Nutrient
    Pectic Enzyme
    Champagne Yeast

The addition of other juices can help overcome some of the issues that they brought up about it tasting meh on it's own, but you could certainly adjust with some tannin or acid if needed.
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:31 pm

Buy the book.(.)
hoodie

Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:56 pm

Yeah! Buy the book :)

There are tons of recipes in there, but the problem is that apple juice is such a variable quantity from manufacturer to manufacturer and year over year that you really can't say "1 TBSP malic acid, 1/4 tsp of grape tannin" and you'll be set!
"i don't want to disparage the guy at all, but man, is this dude a nerd! his knowledge (barely) edges out his over-reaching poindexter-osity, though." slanted&enchanted
Maltose Falcons CA HCotY
drewbage1847

Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:24 pm

drewbage1847 wrote:Yeah! Buy the book :)

There are tons of recipes in there, but the problem is that apple juice is such a variable quantity from manufacturer to manufacturer and year over year that you really can't say "1 TBSP malic acid, 1/4 tsp of grape tannin" and you'll be set!

Hey!! You're that guy!! :mrgreen:
Sergeant, BN Army
R.I.P. Rat Pad ('05-'12)

Fermenter: Mayotoberfest
Kegged: Common, Cherry, & Apple Pie Ciders, Falconer Pale Ale, Strawberry Blonde
On Deck: German Pilsner, Chinookee Wookiee
TheDarkSide
Global Moderator

Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:22 pm

I scored a medal with the recipe that I posted in this thread - viewtopic.php?f=18&t=29004&start=0

It was very easy and tasted great. My wife has since named the recipe "Mommy Juice".
MNHazmat

Return to The Sunday Session