Re: Brewcaster's challenge

Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:47 pm

The LME needs to be prehopped. That's why he didn't have to boil. He used the Mr. Beer Winter Dark IIRC. You'll need to dry hop the shit out if of it though. After listening I did a no boil Mr. Beer American Ale I got on the cheap and only use 1oz Cascade For the dry hop. Drinkable but tastes like an English Pale so I added 2oz Amarillo and 1 oz. Chinook to the keg. I'll taste it again in a week.
mobrewer

Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:48 pm

Neckbeardbeer tried it and said it turned out shitty.
Effingbeer

Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:18 pm

Effingbeer wrote:Neckbeardbeer tried it and said it turned out shitty.

Could you be more specific? What was wrong? How many cans did he use? Hops? Yeast?
TimmyR

Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:53 pm

I sent NBB a message, hopefully he will post.
Effingbeer

Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:57 pm

TimmyR wrote:Hey BDawg! I think 2-3 cans of dark extract and a bunch of hops. Hose water and yeast. Good point. I'll just run with that.

What could possibly go wrong?

I need to replace my filter so I used four gallons of bottled water for two cans of hopped LME. Nothing went wrong other than the fact the extract was prehopped, I didn't boil, therefore, I had little control over the bitterness. After a day of keg hopping the beer started to pick up some flavor and aroma. Again, I'll give it a week.
mobrewer

Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:14 pm

TimmyR wrote:
Effingbeer wrote:Neckbeardbeer tried it and said it turned out shitty.

Could you be more specific? What was wrong? How many cans did he use? Hops? Yeast?

First off, a quick overview of my process. I fermented in my ferm chamber (freezer with temp controller) at about 66F. I didn't boil, just dumped it all in a Mr. Beer fermenter someone had given me a couple of years back as I didn't feel like making a 5 gallon experimental brew. I can't remember exactly which yeast I used at this point but it was either S-04 or US-05. Dry hop of centennial for about 7 days. Put some sugar straight in the bottles, Mr. Beer style.

It's just "not right." I just poured another one to try and remember what was odd about it. The dry hop character is fighting with the rest of the beer. At first you get this really odd flavor, centennial fighting with the flavors in the rest of the beer then you start to get a bit more of the winter warmer coming through.

I need to do the experiment again because I think JZ is on to something but just missed the mark a little on malt selection. I don't think the issue was the use of mosaic like they discussed. My results seem similar. I think if you took a pale ale or IPA can from Mr. Beer and took the same approach you really would have a good beer. All of the other aspects of the beer seem just like any extract beer I've ever made, just that one odd flavor conflict.
Sergeant, East Cost
neckbeardbeer

Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:30 am

next challenge should be who can make the better mr.beer or prehopped can kit
bkov

Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:53 pm

I'm on no-boil mr.beer take two. Got the northwest pale ale and i'll throw .75oz of something normal in there. I'll likely enter this one in a comp just for kicks. Might send the other one in too just to get some additional feedback.
Sergeant, East Cost
neckbeardbeer

PreviousNext

Return to The Sunday Session