Re: How about 1 show for the "novice?"

Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:31 pm

I agree that the earlier shows feature more topics for more novice brewers. They are a perfect way to get started. I dont think the brewcasters should do a back to the basics show, because so much of the stuff has been covered time and again.
"It's really easy to make shitty beer."
jwatkins56550

Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:46 pm

Brewcaster J wrote:a couple things worry me about this thread.

1. is that we are not being approachable to novice brewers. As most of you know, even though I am 4 years into this gig I am a novice brewer. I still question every part of the process (which makes it fun for me actually). So I will see if we can do better to cover the whole spectrum of brewers as we do the CYBI shows and get the novice questions that I always have answered.

2. is that we can't get a major brewery to give us details about their beer. I take that as a personal challenge bitches. Let me see what I can work on to get a clone of a very widely available beer that we can all enjoy and attempt. Most of these guys are great and it might just require a bit of the old Crossley charm to get them talking 8)

Prost!

J

Justin,

I don't agree with the shows being too complicated. I've listened to all the Style shows and there was a wealth of information hidden in each one of those shows.
"I grew up on them".
I think if your a newbie, do your homework and learn as much as you can.
But don't mess with the CYBI format, it's perfect.
dunleav1

Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:40 pm

I think one needs to augment the knowledge from the shows with a lot of reading and brewing. Designing Great Beers by Randy Mosher is a great place to learn recipe formulation. Jamil has mentioned before that this book was a primary source of inspiration and knowledge for him.

A small library of brewing books is an unrivaled reference source. It's much easier to find an answer to a tough problem in your books that sifting through podcasts and waiting for answers on the forum.
Private First Class, BN Army

always pulling decoction

Grist Licker

Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:48 pm

That's Designing Great Beers by Ray Daniels
ukbrewer

Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:14 pm

dunleav1 wrote:Justin,

I don't agree with the shows being too complicated.
I think if your a newbie, do your homework and learn as much as you can.
But don't mess with the CYBI format, it's perfect.

After reading all the updates to this thread, I feel like its the old "telephone game" that we played in elementary school... The original discussion was to have the CYBI guys help folks who are NOT experts brew a simple beer that EVERYONE has available! Best I can tell, that's the only method I would have to determine if I've cloned the beer or not! Even though I don't have Mirror Pond or any of the other "simple" beers - apparently they are still not simple, right J? ;)

The point being that a NOVICE only has so many reference points - SNPA and Sam Adams Boston Lager are 2 beers available to just about everyone in the US and a lot of other places around the world. Makes comparison a LOT easier when you can GET the beer!

I'm not sure how this turned into CYBI needs to be a beginners class on brewing...
Jimbo

Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:21 am

ukbrewer wrote:That's Designing Great Beers by Ray Daniels

Ray Daniels, absolutely. Thanks.
Private First Class, BN Army

always pulling decoction

Grist Licker

Previous

Return to The Jamil Show / Can You Brew It?