PRIVATE FIRST CLASS- The BN Army: Dirty South Squadron
Proud 2010 Fallen Soldier Winner
Proud 2009 Caller of the Year Nominee

POLLO ASADO!
Brandon

Re: Madrugada Obscura "Dark Dawn" recipe

Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:05 am

Indeed. :)
"When you said you mounted animals, I thought you were a taxidermist!" -- petting zoo, Oskosh WI
DBear

Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:21 am

Anyone finish this one up yet? I just brewed it up last week and it is happily chugging away still. I'll try and update in a couple months after I oak it. But would love to hear from anyone that completed this one and details on your process.

Not holding my breath as the board seems dead though.

edit: My main question was regarding the fermentation. They didn't cover it too well in the show. There was mention of 6 mos. on oak (stating that Ron said this), and Mike only did it for 3 mos. Been listening over and over again to the podcast and Ron says they try and give it at least 1 month in the oak. Then one month in the bottle before releasing. Didn't hear 6 mos. come out of his mouth, unless that fell to the floor during edit. So, what I'm getting at in a very round about way, what is the fermentation regime I should be shooting for? It's only been a week on the dregs, and looks like it has a ways to go, so I'm not in a hurry.
suprchunk

Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:51 pm

To be honest I can't remember much about my fermentation regime. I split the batch and bottled some "straight" i.e. without bugs and aged the rest on oak chips and with bugs for about 3 months before bottling. It has been in the bottle for about a year now and the "dirty" version is pretty damn funky. Maybe a little thin. The "straight" version is a bit thick and heavy though, so I'm planning a blending experiment.
Martin
Auckland, New Zealand
Homebrewer and member of the Society of Beer Advocates (SOBA) http://www.soba.org.nz
ElectricLandlord

Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:47 am

Good information. Thank you.

It's coming up on two weeks now for me. I'll be testing the gravity and moving it over onto some oak chips this Saturday. Will be brewing a 10gal batch same day and throwing it on the cake. Will update as I go.
suprchunk

Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:39 am

Transferred the first batch onto about .85 oz. of medium toast oak cubes. Brewed the bigger batch the same day and through it on the cake. Fermentation was violent and quick - as expected. The first one tasted pretty close to the real deal, even without the cubes yet. It was a month last week and I bottled the first batch and through the second batch on about 10lbs of cherries. First one smelled heavily of bourbon but did not taste overly oaky. The second one started refermentation and is chugging away one week later. The first one is pretty damn close to the commercial beer. Should be pretty good when carbonated. Now I can't wait to try the second one.
suprchunk

Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:04 pm

Brewing this now. I decided to try and build up yeast from the dregs of 4 bottles of Jolly Pumpkin (had a lot of fun emptying those), so I am using that as my yeast. Started with an 800 ml 1030 starter, and stepped it up to 2 Liters yesterday. It just passed full krausen, so I'm going to pitch it in the beer today. I'll let you know how it goes.
Skibbereen Brewing

Kegged: Pale Ale, Smoked Almond Brown Ale, Watermelon Wit, Cream Stout
Bottled: Smoked Almond Brown Ale, Mai-Doppelbock
Primary: Lemon Lime Hefeweizen
Secondary: Flanders Red, Consecration/La Roja Experiment
stblindtiger

Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:26 pm

I added the oak about two weeks ago. I used some cubes from a previous Flanders Red that I made. Checked on it today and here are some pics:

Skibbereen Brewing

Kegged: Pale Ale, Smoked Almond Brown Ale, Watermelon Wit, Cream Stout
Bottled: Smoked Almond Brown Ale, Mai-Doppelbock
Primary: Lemon Lime Hefeweizen
Secondary: Flanders Red, Consecration/La Roja Experiment
stblindtiger

PreviousNext

Return to The Jamil Show / Can You Brew It?