Re: Fish alt, did somebody really ask for this?

Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:30 pm

I'm sorry but you're just not paying attention if you think we're trying to somehow put one over on folks. On the show, as clear as can be, Justin says it was his request. Is he not allowed to ask for a beer? (You're F'ing pissing me off if you think he doesn't deserve at least a request...)

I'll tell you this. Fish Alt was a MUCH MUCH MUCH better request than 1/2 of the requests people have sent in. Fish Alt is an excellent beer, very representative of the style and that is why it got on CYBI.

They are all listener requested beers, but some of you ask for better beers than others. Some requests get bumped to the top, because they are great beers, and some get pushed to the bottom.
I hope my post helped in some way. If not, please feel free to contact me.

Jamil Zainasheff
http://www.mrmalty.com

"The yeast is strong within you." K. Zainasheff
jamilz

Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:01 pm

YES! MAD JAMIL! :drink
http://www.embracethefunk.com <----My Sour Beer Website

PRIVATE FIRST CLASS- The BN Army: Dirty South Squadron
Proud 2010 Fallen Soldier Winner
Proud 2009 Caller of the Year Nominee

POLLO ASADO!
Brandon

Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:27 pm

Fish Alt is great-

They pour every year at GABF. The past couple of years, it was a couple of my best friends from my (and Evan's) brew club pouring for them. Give them a try in Denver next fall. You'll love their stuff-

(Though, I admit that I'm not crazy for their APA, go figure).
Last edited by BDawg on Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:37 am

Thanks J, that's what I was asking for. I didn't mean to imply that you were getting paid for that spot on the show (like that would happen anyway :jnj ), just a hypothetical there. This one seemed a bit out of left field since most of the beers on the show you've talked about in the past in some form or other, or the brewery is somewhat well known (to me, anyway, east coaster here). I heard this one and said 'what is Fish brewing company?', thought it was a local brewpub or something. And I couldn't find many reviews on BA (6 as of this writing), so it didn't seem to popular? I did enjoy the show, it really highlighted the importance of brewing water and how you can miss the clone even with the right recipe, and how difficult it can be to make adjustments from commercial to homebrew systems. Thanks, and keep the good programming coming!

Jamil, I never said J doesn't deserve to throw one of his favs in. It's his network for christ sake. I was curious if that was indeed what happened, or if you guys were receiving a lot of requests for this beer because it's a rising star on the beer scene out there.
Nyakavt

Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:49 am

look at what this thread made me do
Last edited by Evan B on Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BN Army :bnarmy:
Evan B

Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:42 pm

jamilz wrote:They are all listener requested beers, but some of you ask for better beers than others. Some requests get bumped to the top, because they are great beers, and some get pushed to the bottom.

Does this mean my request for Bud Select is on the bottom of the list? :)

CYBI has opened my eyes to beers I never knew existed. Green Flash West Coast IPA has become my all-time favorite. Only probably is I can get a lot of the ones you do, but it gives me purpose in life.
Sergeant, BN Army
R.I.P. Rat Pad ('05-'12)

Fermenter: Mayotoberfest
Kegged: Common, Cherry, & Apple Pie Ciders, Falconer Pale Ale, Strawberry Blonde
On Deck: German Pilsner, Chinookee Wookiee
TheDarkSide
Global Moderator

Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:26 pm

One of the things I like about going to NHC, or anywhere, when I travel is finding beer I can't get at home. And I can't get a lot at home. No Pliny. Only DFH 120, which I don't care for. So most of what is broadcast on CYBI I can't get unless I head to Austin and hit Whole Foods, Spec's, or Central Market. So it's interesting hearing about some of these beers. Something else for me to look for next time I'm in Austin.

And if you think I have it bad, think about poor grod or Thure.

CYBI let's me brew beers that I will never be able to buy locally. And alerts me to things I should be on the lookout for.
"Mash, I made you my bitch!" -Tasty
Dirk McLargeHuge
Global Moderator

Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:48 am

Dirk McLargeHuge wrote:One of the things I like about going to NHC, or anywhere, when I travel is finding beer I can't get at home. And I can't get a lot at home. No Pliny. Only DFH 120, which I don't care for. So most of what is broadcast on CYBI I can't get unless I head to Austin and hit Whole Foods, Spec's, or Central Market. So it's interesting hearing about some of these beers. Something else for me to look for next time I'm in Austin.

And if you think I have it bad, think about poor grod or Thure.

CYBI let's me brew beers that I will never be able to buy locally. And alerts me to things I should be on the lookout for.

I feel the same way. I learn an awful lot about things I wouldn't otherwise learn because in Texas it's not as easy to get great beer. Dallas is especially weird because we have pockets of the city that are "dry" and sell no alcohol anywhere. Some areas sell only beer and wine and no liquor. So what you get are these megamarts on the borders of the "wet" and "dry" lines that are doing their best to roll through demand for a much larger area, meaning that unless their building is huge, they're dedicating the vast majority of their inventory to BMC.

Now, there are plenty of places to get good beer, you just have to know where to go, but many things aren't going to make it here. Levitation is a great example - I can get all manner of Stone beers here but had never heard of levitation. I asked one of my regular places that is nice and carries a bunch of the variety you can get here - it's not distributed here. There are a lot of beers like that - in fact, in the city of Dallas, there's only one place you can get Lagunita's at all that I'm aware of.

So anyway, the regional stuff that's covered in the show helps open me up to a lot of things other than just how to brew an IPA. Opens me up to a lot of things - in this case, the Alt style.
"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas."
mookie1010

PreviousNext

Return to The Jamil Show / Can You Brew It?