Re: Green Flash Westcoast IPA recipe

Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:37 pm

I scored a 40 with this is a competition but didn't win anything :(

At least I had the rest of the beer to drink. :)
Sergeant, BN Army
R.I.P. Rat Pad ('05-'12)

Fermenter: Mayotoberfest
Kegged: Common, Cherry, & Apple Pie Ciders, Falconer Pale Ale, Strawberry Blonde
On Deck: German Pilsner, Chinookee Wookiee
TheDarkSide
Global Moderator

Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:50 am

TheDarkSide wrote:I scored a 40 with this is a competition but didn't win anything :(

At least I had the rest of the beer to drink. :)

Man, a 40 and no medal? I smell thievery. Must of been up against some great beers!
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:17 pm

I just brewed this on Saturday. I copied down the recipe at work then bought whatever hops I thought i needed to arrive in time for my brew session. I thought i had a pound of Simcoe at home, so I didn't order any. Turns out I had a pound of CHINOOK at home, and didn't notice until too late... so I made a Chinook for Simcoe substitution in the hop bill. They seem to be close enough that this should be a good beer, if not an exact Green Flash clone. I guess I'll know in about 10 days when it's done dry hopping. Anyone have enough first hand experience with the two to make a guess how this change will affect the finished beer?
Society of Northeast Ohio Brewers (SNOBs)
Cleveland, Ohio http://www.beersnobs.net
BN Private First Class - Snowbelt Battalion
Todd

Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:16 am

:bnarmy: I have brewed this twice in the last 6 months, and I must way that as a hophead and beer snob, this beer sets the bar. I followed the recipe exactly both times, and have had nothing but WOWs from everyone who tries it. I love that there is some real malt character in this beer and though the hops are the star, the malt is still able to retain a strong presence. About the best balance a moderate gravity 95 IBU beer could have.

As for the above post about subbing Chinook for Simcoe, how was that? I am guessing it was good, but I do love Simcoe and there really is no replacement for it.
Timbeer

Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:22 pm

Just have to add to this thread. Followed this recipe to the letter and have it kegged right now. I have never had this beer from Green Flash before but this recipe makes an excellent IPA.

To add to that, the first night I kegged this beer some buddies and I got fucked enough to take my dads John Deere Gator out at 2 am and drive through 14 inches of snow on the farm resulting in running over about 15-20 blueberry bushes. Very Drinkable beer.
"No balls no babies." - neighbor dan
blueberry

Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:35 pm

The follow up to my post from July, sorry for the lack of memory to update this one.

The beer I brewed with the Chinook substitution took first place in an IPA competition, so I guess it didn't hurt it very much at all. I brewed 10 gallons, the first keg kicked in a about 2 weeks. I've nursed the second one for a while. The hop aroma has faded to almost nothing as it's about empty, but it still has an incredible bitterness and IPA character even after almost 7 months. CANNOT WAIT TO RE-BREW THIS ONE!!!
Society of Northeast Ohio Brewers (SNOBs)
Cleveland, Ohio http://www.beersnobs.net
BN Private First Class - Snowbelt Battalion
Todd

Previous

Return to The Jamil Show / Can You Brew It?