Re: Number 9 Clone

Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:27 am

mookie1010 wrote:I did 10 (well, 12) gallons yesterday and split it between 2 carboys - one with WLP 002 on generation 4 that I harvested from the mirror pond clone on the same day, and did the other carboy with the Dry English ale yeast that I bought and put on a starter yesterday late morning, early afternoon -- I had this thread in mind when I decided to do it. Gimmie some time and I'll try to follow up in a few weeks with the results.

So mookie1010, how did it turn out?
jermanimal

Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:21 am

jermanimal wrote:
mookie1010 wrote:I did 10 (well, 12) gallons yesterday and split it between 2 carboys - one with WLP 002 on generation 4 that I harvested from the mirror pond clone on the same day, and did the other carboy with the Dry English ale yeast that I bought and put on a starter yesterday late morning, early afternoon -- I had this thread in mind when I decided to do it. Gimmie some time and I'll try to follow up in a few weeks with the results.

So mookie1010, how did it turn out?

I was coming here today to update, ha - I'm kegging them both this weekend. The 002 is crashed and I'll keg it tonight - it got down to 1.014. I'm crashing the 007 tonight, I haven't been able to take a reading this week.
"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas."
mookie1010

Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:57 am

1.014 on the 002 and 1.012 on the dry english. I'll do side by side tastings at some point this week.
mookie1010

Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:07 am

Been really busy this week and haven't had a chance to do a side by side - wife's been sick, in-laws in town blah blah blah. I get some time off tonight and will try to do this. I did taste the 002 last night just to check carbonation - it was pretty damn close to #9 despite finishing high, which is also my memory of tasty's results.
mookie1010

Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:27 am

On the left is the commercial example on the right is my attempt. As I said, mine is way to dark, I think I messed up my volumes looking back at my notes. I didn't sparge enough, and left myself 2 quarts shy of 7 gallons pre-boil.

Still a damn tasty beer. Everyone who has tried it loved it.

edit: both beers are brilliantly clear, just the damn humidity is fogging everything up. :evil:
rickkickin

Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:17 am

I did side by sides last night between the White labs 007 and 002 - they were really close to each other. I think I prefer the 007 - I don't know if I'd call it "drier" but it's either that or "crisper" that I would choose. There's something a touch sharper about the bitterness, which could be a result of the lower gravity or a yeast characteristic. Probably both.

I think the 007 got things closer to the commercial example, thought I'm doing than from memory rather than from a side by side which I'll try this week.

They're both great beers, but I think that I'll be using more 007 now than I would have before. I have a pale rye recipe I'm still tweaking that I'd been using 002 on - I might start trying it with 007 and see if that helps it.
mookie1010

Previous

Return to The Jamil Show / Can You Brew It?