Re: Number 9 Clone

Sun May 16, 2010 6:34 am

ipaisay2.0 wrote:They at least were one of the number of east coast breweries that were started with english yeast by Ringwood. Chupa is correct.

What is the significance of Ringwood? This is a type of yeast right? Why would the brewer say to use WLP002 on the CYB show?

Ringwood surely make more sense considering the attenuation they get.
jermanimal

Sun May 16, 2010 2:41 pm

isn't WLP005 the Ringwood strain?
Brandt

Sun May 16, 2010 7:18 pm

I did 10 (well, 12) gallons yesterday and split it between 2 carboys - one with WLP 002 on generation 4 that I harvested from the mirror pond clone on the same day, and did the other carboy with the Dry English ale yeast that I bought and put on a starter yesterday late morning, early afternoon -- I had this thread in mind when I decided to do it. Gimmie some time and I'll try to follow up in a few weeks with the results.

Here's what they look like now, 22 hours after pitching - Dry English 007 is on the left:

"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas."
mookie1010

Wed May 19, 2010 7:13 pm

Wow, good work. I am very interested.

I have my version been 8 days and down to only 1.018 (og 1.046) using the WLP002. Fermenting really slowly, had very active initial fermentation, slowed down but hasn't settled out yet and bubbling. I doing think there is anyway it is getting down to 1.008, but if it splits the difference over the next week I will be happy.

Pulled a sample today while I did the SG reading. Force carbonated 5 oz. Base beer was malty and quite tasty. 15 drops of apricot, surprisingly it really opened up the flavors and rounded out the malty-ness.

Report in a few weeks when I pull the first pint.
jermanimal

Wed May 26, 2010 10:19 am

ok, it is done...3 more days at 70 then 4 @ 72 and was still at 1.018, although cleaned up some. Nice crispness considering only got 60% attenuation, little disappointed it didn't ferment more.

This weekend was in northern wisconsin at the original famous daves...they had #9 on tap! Was my first taste of the beer. It is wonderful and mine is really close. The flavoring is very subtle. Wonderfully balanced between, apricot and english start with malty crisp finish. Definitely a beer, not a fruit beer.

Now cloned or not, real #9 is finish is a little more dry and refreshing...everything else is spot on though.

Looking forward to the 007 vs 002 test, will definitely make this beer again only with the 007 yeast.
jermanimal

Sat May 29, 2010 5:42 pm

Alright guys. My version finished all the way down to 1.010, 77% attenuation with the London ESB. I added 3 oz of my apricot extract (for 5 gallons) to put it spot on. The only difference is between mine and the commercial example is that mine is a little darker. Pictures to come in a few days.
rickkickin

Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:40 am

rickkickin wrote:Alright guys. My version finished all the way down to 1.010, 77% attenuation with the London ESB. I added 3 oz of my apricot extract (for 5 gallons) to put it spot on. The only difference is between mine and the commercial example is that mine is a little darker. Pictures to come in a few days.

Could you share a little about your fermentation and/or brew that got down to 1.010.

Looking back at my notes, I don't think my starter was big enough and I ran off too much in the sparge, runnings stoped at 1.008. Ugg.

One other note for everyone, I put in 4 oz of extract in. Cold it seemed right, as it warmed up it was way too much, start with 3 oz. You can always add more.

That said, still a great beer.
jermanimal

Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:27 pm

I mashed my grains for 60 minutes at 152F. Batch sparged, started boil, and added hops according to recipe. At the start of the brew day, I whipped up a starter, 1 L of 1.035 wort and a smacked pack of Wyeast 1968. When my wort was cooled to 66F, I pitched the whole liter of starter and let fermentation to cruise up to 72F naturally. I let this sit for 8 days before transferring to a keg. I let the keg sit at room temp for another week and dropped it in the keggerator. Pulled whatever sediment there was and added 1 oz of apricot extract to the keg at a time, shaking it to mix, until i got in the ballpark.
rickkickin

PreviousNext

Return to The Jamil Show / Can You Brew It?