Rogue Dead Guy

Sat May 29, 2010 3:59 pm

I did the Dead Guy clone.

SRM was dead on.
I used the pacman yeast.
I nailed my OG and FG.
The beer was really good but the Deadguy definately had a more pronounced hop profile throughout the entire beer. I would add 50% to the Sterling hop addition in the recipe for my system (brutus 10 clone with converted kegs). My beer is more like a standard Maibock and it's tasty but it's not a Dead Guy.

Result - Not cloned - needs to be rebrewed.
dunleav1

Re: Rogue Dead Guy

Sun May 30, 2010 4:38 am

Interesting how much one person's setup can produce a totally different beer from someone else's setup. I too find I typically need to add more knockout addition hops to get the aroma I am looking for.
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Sun May 30, 2010 6:38 pm

I'm going to try drop hopping with Sterling to get the hop nose like the Dead Guy.
dunleav1

Sun May 30, 2010 6:58 pm

dunleav1 wrote:I did the Dead Guy clone.

SRM was dead on.
I used the pacman yeast.
I nailed my OG and FG.
The beer was really good but the Deadguy definately had a more pronounced hop profile throughout the entire beer. I would add 50% to the Sterling hop addition in the recipe for my system (brutus 10 clone with converted kegs). My beer is more like a standard Maibock and it's tasty but it's not a Dead Guy.

I've brewed it once as well and agree (I brew in a 3 tier converted keg system). Color was very very close but I made notes in my brew log to up the hops next time. I do use hop bags so that may have a bit to do with it... but at any rate I think the malt profile was there, just needed more hops all around (bittering mostly, but also some flavor and aroma).
PFC BN Army - 43rd Battalion Mashing Squadron
beltbuckle

Sun May 30, 2010 7:36 pm

beltbuckle wrote:
dunleav1 wrote:I did the Dead Guy clone.

SRM was dead on.
I used the pacman yeast.
I nailed my OG and FG.

I've brewed it once as well and agree (I brew in a 3 tier converted keg system). Color was very very close but I made notes in my brew log to up the hops next time. I do use hop bags so that may have a bit to do with it... but at any rate I think the malt profile was there, just needed more hops all around (bittering mostly, but also some flavor and aroma).

I would up the flavor and aroma hops next time. I'm going to dry hop to get a little aroma for this batch.
dunleav1

Return to The Jamil Show / Can You Brew It?