Firestone Extravaganza

Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:08 pm

Anyone listening live? Were there any clones? And is today a holiday or something?
Hoppocrates

Re: Firestone Extravaganza

Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:47 pm

today is not a holiday, but I'm guessing it was the last day to get them done before JZ departs on his drive to NHC so they just went for it.

They're halfway through, taking a lunch break and so far they're 1 for 1 on cloning them
Adopt a deaf dog. It will change your life in a positive way

Jamil Zainasheff has a walk in cooler.
Pamela Anderson has a walk in cooter.
San_Diego_Matt

Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:33 pm

Somebody please tell me the Union Jack archive will be posted first...or at least the recipe. I've been wanting to do this one for a while now and was hoping to brew it next weekend!
bille

Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:55 pm

we're on the third of 4 shows right now and we have not yet gotten to UJ so I don't think it will be the first one posted. If you can, tune in, shows are still playing live
Adopt a deaf dog. It will change your life in a positive way

Jamil Zainasheff has a walk in cooler.
Pamela Anderson has a walk in cooter.
San_Diego_Matt

Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:30 pm

So what was the verdict...? I didn't get to listen after JP successfully cloned the Firestone Walker Reserve. Did they nail the other 3 beers? It would be awesome if someone could post the homebrew recipes for those of us who didn't get a chance to finish listening to the FW Marathon. Thanks in advance.

Hoser
Hoser
Hoser

Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:03 pm

The Reserve, Pale 31, and Union Jack were all cloned. There was some trouble with the side-by-side taste test on the second version of Double Barrel Ale: the two bottles from FW both had a tart off-flavor that is uncharacteristic of the beer. While all the brewcasters agreed that Tasty's version was identical to what they remembered about FW's DBA in the past, Tasty's version did not match the bottles they picked up for this show. I believe the ruling was that they would suspend judgment until they could do a side-by-side with different bottles of DBA and giving Matt Brynildson final verdict when he has a chance to taste Tasty's version. If it doesn't meet his standards, Tasty will have to re-brew it.
sean.michaleen

Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:46 pm

So, is nobody posting recipes any more? I was able to listen to a portion of the 31 show but the wife, dog, neighbors, HOA all feel it is more important for me to fix our tornado-damaged fence. FTLOG somebody please tell me I'm not going to have to wait a month+ to get the UJ clone!
bille

Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:29 am

bille wrote:So, is nobody posting recipes any more? I was able to listen to a portion of the 31 show but the wife, dog, neighbors, HOA all feel it is more important for me to fix our tornado-damaged fence. FTLOG somebody please tell me I'm not going to have to wait a month+ to get the UJ clone!

I was looking forward to the Union Jack segment myself but I missed 90% of that show on my drive home from work. I took notes during the Matt Brynildson interview, which was before the segment just for the Union Jack clone.

Code: Select all
80-85% two-row (I believe Rahr)
(unspecified amount) Munich
5% carapils
2% Simpson's Crystal 30-40 (more for color than flavor)

Mash at 145F for 60 minutes, ramp up to 155F just until it passes a conversion test
90 minute boil

@90 min: 50 IBU of bittering hops (Warrior, though sometimes CTZ or Summit)
@30 min: 90g/bbl Cascade, 90g/bbl Centennial
@whirlpool: 270g/bbl Cascade, 270g/bbl Centennial
@dry #1: 8oz/bbl total of blend of Cascade & Centennial
@dry #2: 8oz/bbl total of blend of Cascade, Centennial, Simcoe, Amarillo

Start dry hopping when there's 0.5-1 Plato left in primary fermentation.
Dry hop #1 for 3 days, drop the hops, then dry hop #2 for 3 days.

Ferment with WLP-002, starting at 17C and then ramping up to 19C after the growth phase (36hrs)

If anyone can fill in anything else or correct my errors, please do!
sean.michaleen

Next

Return to The Jamil Show / Can You Brew It?