Re: Has CYBI contributed to significant changes to your brewing?

Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:24 am

TimmyR wrote:
Brewchief wrote:The subject pretty much speaks for itself. Have you made any process, ingredient, technique, or philosphy changes simply from nuggets learned from the Pros (and Brewcasters)?

My major change was using English yeasts for my American Ales :idea: . In fact, I brewed almost exclusively with WY 1968 for almost a year, and now WLP007 has become my house Ale yeast in 2010 and I love it. Without uncommon circumstance, I do not plan to use the Cali yeast much any more for awhile.

The next change, depending on results from upcoming brews, may be the prolonged hot hop whirlpooling before chilling.

How bout youz?

I've been splitting every 10-gallon batch with different yeasts and am on my 3rd or 4th 001 vs 007 split. What temp do you like 007 at? I am slowly bringing it down from 68F it seems to see if I can slightly lower some of the fruity esters, although it is rapidly becoming my favorite for APA. I just used it alongside 001 in an American Brown and it took off so violently it filled my blow-off hose w/in 18 hours of pitch.

I've been pitching at ~65F, holding it there for a day or three depending on the size, and letting it ride up to finish at ~70F.

What differences have you personally picked up from your side-by-side comparisons?
In keg:
Doppelbock
Berliner Weisse
DIPA
Dortmunder

On deck:
Emma's Brown
Brewchief

Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:15 pm

Mashed my extra pale at 145 and did a whirlpool hop addition. Made the hops just pop! Got a nice dry profile to balance out the bit of crystal in the beer. Two techniques I can credit cybi and firestone walker!

Posted with my droid x.
UhrigBrauer

Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:54 pm

Heck yes. I've used specialty grains like carafa special II, pale chocolate, different yeasts and done more clone brewing.
-------------
Blue Loon
Corporal BN Army, MN freeze your nuts off division
R.A.Z.E. homebrew club http://www.razebrewing.com
My recipes: http://hopville.com/brewer/recipes/ryantj
Blog http://brewcoder.blogspot.com/
BlueLoon

Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:15 am

Brewchief wrote:I've been pitching at ~65F, holding it there for a day or three depending on the size, and letting it ride up to finish at ~70F.

What differences have you personally picked up from your side-by-side comparisons?

Both 001 and 007 have both finished at the same FG for me on each batch of APA. The 001 come through as cleaner, drier and expresses more hop bite I think. The 007 esters seem to slightly mute the hops but lends some nice fruity esters. So far its 1-1 on the scorecard. First APA I liked 001, second APA I like 007. I think next batch I may try 001 and 002. As for 530 and 575, I liked 530, but want to ferment hotter next time on my Dubbel. The 530 had a nicer more complex flavor than the 575.

Currently I have a batch of American Brown (based on Janet's Brown) split with 001 and 007. Plan to dry-hop today. In 2-weeks I am going to brew my Robust Porter and split that between 001 and 007.
Timmy
BN Army Air Corps

Go Cubbies!
TimmyR

Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:21 am

I just kegged a DIPA using the mega dose of hops in a half hour "whirlpool" addition (I didn't technically whirlpool until after the rest). Also, I fermented cool with 007, still achieving 85+% attenuation. Initial tasting shows the resiny mouthfeel and an almost sweet taste from the (17 oz of) hops. Still chunky with keg dreg, but a complex, fresh, pine/citrus peel-bomb with incredible drinkability for an 8.5% beer; and my best DIPA by far.

Thanks CYBI.
In keg:
Doppelbock
Berliner Weisse
DIPA
Dortmunder

On deck:
Emma's Brown
Brewchief

Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:27 pm

Yes, held whirlpool for 30 mins. and lowered starting ferment temps on some ales to 62oF and let it rise. Also, got interested in trying 30-37 Carastan from the Green Flash episode.
>^,,^<
Rhoobarb
Rhoobarb

Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:47 am

andy77 wrote:A 15 minute hot whirlpool after flameout... I save this one for beers with a late hop.

I did exactly that last night on an APA thanks to CYBI. I enjoy hearing the perspective of professional brewers. I'll also be switching to 007 isntead of 001 for my american ales and even some english ones. It basically seems like a slightly fruitier version of 001 that drops out better.

Other than that, I will say that I got a lot more out of the pre-CYBI erra shows. Maybe Jamil needs Johnny there to ask him dumb questions, hah.
"In Italy, they eat Italian food. In America, we eat any kind of food we want!" -- Fritz Maytag

http://www.youtube.com/alanmarcero

alanzo

Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:56 pm

I've done a bunch of side by side 001 versus 007 ferments. Jury is still out but I am starting to really like it. I do not know how Stone gets so much hop to overwhelm the 007 esters I think I taste. Well see how my American Brown and Porter do.
TimmyR

PreviousNext

Return to The Jamil Show / Can You Brew It?