Re: Witbier

Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:34 pm

animaldoc wrote:Forgot to mention - do a single step infusion if you aren't equipped for step mashing. But it's a good reason to try a step mash if you've never done it before -- I've done it both ways and don't think it makes much of a difference.

Agreed. Have done it both with and without protein rests and couldn't really tell the difference either way.
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:56 pm

Thanks for all the info. I think I'm going to stick to the BCS recipe using the flaked malt. The recipes in that book have been pretty good to me so far. I'll do the step mash. It seems like a good one to start learning how to do a step mash with. I also think I'll stick to JZ's advice about gently crushing the coriander rather than pulverize it as Doc sugested. The grapefruit sounds like a good idea.
Fermenting: Red Seal Clone
In Bottles: Imperial Saison, BCS Old Monster American Barleywine, Special Bitter
On Deck: Witbier
pablo_t

Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:09 am

I've brewed a few and tried one unbelievable wit at NHC. My better one and the really good one I had at NHC were done using Doc's method. If you can be bothered, then I think the decoction adds something.

I also like a spritzy zest quality from about 300g of fresh orange, lemon, lime and grapefruit zest in a 20-23L batch. But that's personal preference.
whoateallthepies

Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:45 pm

Is it necessary to pulverize the unmalted flaked adjuncts i.e. Docs decoction? He doesn't mention using flaked grains.
sting

Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:15 pm

Obviously this is a dying forum. No help available here lol. See you guys elsewhere.
sting

Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:44 pm

Bye
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:00 am

sting wrote:Obviously this is a dying forum. No help available here lol. See you guys elsewhere.

Says a guy who hasn't posted anything else. Good riddance.
"Mash, I made you my bitch!" -Tasty
Dirk McLargeHuge
Global Moderator

Previous

Return to The Jamil Show / Can You Brew It?