CYBI Any Russian River sour beer please

Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:19 pm

The BN is titillating me, always talking about these delicious beers..I know they have gotten requested for them already, so brew it already... PLEASE
"It's really easy to make shitty beer."
jwatkins56550

Re: CYBI Any Russian River sour beer please

Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:50 pm

I think the thing is, you really, really have to have a barrel to properly emulate the complexity of these beers. And a year or so to let it ferment. I'm not saying don't do it, I think it would be a great idea! But it would be hard for most people to brew without a barrel. It would be cool to see if they could clone it without a barrel, using only oak cubes or chips, and maybe they could do a barrel too and see which one comes out better. Sounds like a big project!
Chupa LaHomebrew

Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:40 am

I disagree Chupa. If they can get close to Jolly Pumpkin, which IMO has a more complex ester profile, they should be able to do Russian River.

Granted they did do the two least funky beers from Jolly Pumpkin but I bet they could do it with oak cubes and a couple months.
Dan
Nankin Mills Brewing
dannypo

Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:39 pm

Lets not forget that RR does utilize blending to reach the sourness in many of their beers. Getting a 10% beer like Consecration that sour is pretty tough without some back blending to achieve it.
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:04 pm

Dannypo, doing it with oak cubes instead of a barrel might be possible, but doing it in 2 months is not gonna happen. And blending is an important part of their regimen, as brewinhard said. Just to be clear I think it would be great if they tried it, but it would be a challenging task and somebody has to be up to the challenge. (Then if it's not cloned they have to do it again and get back to us in another year or so.)

I have had a lot of trouble getting hombrews to be sour enough using only a carboy, but I am getting better at it! It's a very complicated subject and there are so many variables, most people can really just talk about their own process and their own experience, not lay down hard rules on how things will work in another brewery. Whatever, I am just rambling now, sorry. Back to drinking!
Chupa LaHomebrew

Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:36 am

I brought a growler of Temptation back to Oz to share with my brew club. I'd like to hear a show on that.
whoateallthepies

Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:36 pm

whoateallthepies wrote:I brought a growler of Temptation back to Oz to share with my brew club. I'd like to hear a show on that.

Who wouldn't?
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:49 pm

Having never had any of their beers I can't say how daunting the challenge would be, I just know I want it.

But it's not like Jamil hasn't cloned a beer (or himself called it cloned) based off of what it will taste like in the future, and I know sour beers aren't set in stone with results but I believe he did the same thing with Jolly Pumpkin Madrugada Obscura
"It's really easy to make shitty beer."
jwatkins56550

Next

Return to The Jamil Show / Can You Brew It?