Re: CYBI Any Russian River sour beer please

Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:55 pm

That's a good point, I forgot about the Madrugada. I thought they just did the Bam Bier. One thing is pretty sure, Vinnie would probably not have a problem sharing his recipe!
Chupa LaHomebrew

Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:07 pm

I requested a Trappist clone a few months ago. Didn't specify which since they're all great. I'd certainly like to hear about something other than a Pale ale at this point... there were a couple interesting ones but I don't believe there has been a single belgian-style ale on CYBI yet... I think Russian River or Ommegang would be great places to start. Brooklyn Brewery also has a couple really nice belgians.
"In Italy, they eat Italian food. In America, we eat any kind of food we want!" -- Fritz Maytag

http://www.youtube.com/alanmarcero

alanzo

Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:21 pm

alanzo wrote:I requested a Trappist clone a few months ago. Didn't specify which since they're all great. I'd certainly like to hear about something other than a Pale ale at this point... there were a couple interesting ones but I don't believe there has been a single belgian-style ale on CYBI yet... I think Russian River or Ommegang would be great places to start. Brooklyn Brewery also has a couple really nice belgians.

Some Belgian style CYBIs

jolly pumpkin bam biere
jolly pumpkin dark dawn
captain lawrence xtra gold pale ale
2 and 2 always makes a 5
robert4136

Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:53 am

As long as Vinnie is being interviewed for CYBI, you may as well have him do Blind Pig IPA and Russian River IPA. But seriously, I wonder if Vinnie's availability is the bottleneck.

If you haven't listened to all of Vinnie's appearances on the Session, do so. I brewed a killer cherry sour ale from these shows.
Find success in college, work with a college success coach at http://www.deliberateliving.org/
Tom from Raleigh

Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:13 pm

I am an east coaster, but had the chance to go to the Russian river Pub on my honeymoon.....So amazing! I hope so bad that CYBI does a Russian River Ganza!!!! Blind Pig, Pliny the Younger, Consicration, so many great beers.

Lets keep our fingers crossed
Pouring - Infidel Porter, Pallino Wit
Fermenting - Till a rustic Saison
On Deck - Abbey Dubbel, Belgian Golden Strong maybe with brett
LukeD23

Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:53 am

What is the biggest sour beer some of you guys have brewed. Right now, I have a Belgian Dark Strong that had an O.G. of 1.093 and a F.G. of 1.011 using a fourth generation pitch of Wyeast 3787. The base beer is excellent. About 8 weeks ago, I made a 250 mL Starter and pitched the dregs of a Russian River Concecration into that starter. Several days later I pitched that starter into a three gallon carboy with the base beer. The bugs are obviously doing work in the 3 gallon carboy despite the high alcohol environment. :) Not sure when this will be done, but can't wait to taste the results. Not sure if I should add oak cubes at some point or leave this one alone as is.

Doesn't this mean that Russian River could technically make Concecration without blending necessary? Of course, there is a lot to be said about the benefits of blending, but it seems to me that some of what I have heard about wild yeast and bacteria's alcohol tolerance is false.
Larkin W.

Previous

Return to The Jamil Show / Can You Brew It?