Mixing Black Butte Porter and Holgate Brown Ale Recipes

Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:59 am

While I was listening to the Holgate brown ale show (There were a lot of ideas in that interview. Great job, Peter.), I had an idea. Take pecans and toast them as the Holgate recipe directs, but use them in the Black Butte Porter recipe to make a Pecan Porter. Anyone see a downside to this? An Austin Brewery, (512) Brewing, makes an awesome pecan porter that is draft only.

What do you think?
"Mash, I made you my bitch!" -Tasty
Dirk McLargeHuge
Global Moderator

Re: Mixing Black Butte Porter and Holgate Brown Ale Recipes

Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:46 am

Dirk McLargeHuge wrote:While I was listening to the Holgate brown ale show (There were a lot of ideas in that interview. Great job, Peter.), I had an idea. Take pecans and toast them as the Holgate recipe directs, but use them in the Black Butte Porter recipe to make a Pecan Porter. Anyone see a downside to this? An Austin Brewery, (512) Brewing, makes an awesome pecan porter that is draft only.

What do you think?

I think it sounds awesome. I've had a pecan porter in mind since I first had the 512 beer. Yummy stuff and I have a grove of 20 pecan trees in the back acre that make some of the tastiest pecans I've ever had. If you do it I'd like to know how it works out as getting the pecans into the beer was the thing holding me back so far.
jm

Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:49 am

jm wrote:
Dirk McLargeHuge wrote:While I was listening to the Holgate brown ale show (There were a lot of ideas in that interview. Great job, Peter.), I had an idea. Take pecans and toast them as the Holgate recipe directs, but use them in the Black Butte Porter recipe to make a Pecan Porter. Anyone see a downside to this? An Austin Brewery, (512) Brewing, makes an awesome pecan porter that is draft only.

What do you think?

I think it sounds awesome. I've had a pecan porter in mind since I first had the 512 beer. Yummy stuff and I have a grove of 20 pecan trees in the back acre that make some of the tastiest pecans I've ever had. If you do it I'd like to know how it works out as getting the pecans into the beer was the thing holding me back so far.

The Holgate interview said to toast the nuts golden brown and put them on top of the mash. So I figure, WTF? I've made bad beer before. . . I will brew it Thanksgiving Day.
Dirk McLargeHuge
Global Moderator

Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:07 pm

Let me know how it turns out as BBP is now one of my regular beers

Peter
korev

Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:05 pm

I brewed the beer yesterday, and it is happily fermenting away. If you decide to brew it, keep a close eye on the pecans as you toast them. I stirred the nuts every 3-5 minutes for about fifteen minutes.

I screwed up my order, though. My LHBS doesn't carry both American and English chocolate malts, so I said "What the heck?" and ordered one pound of the American. Or so I thought. As I was prepping the night before, I noticed that I ordered Chocolate wheat. So my version with have more wheat than Black Butte Porter. Hopefully, Ninkasi will protect me.

I'll let you know how it goes.
Dirk McLargeHuge
Global Moderator

Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:31 pm

Kegged it today. It tasted great. I get some nutty flavors, but I couldn't prove it was pecans. More when it's carbonated.
Dirk McLargeHuge
Global Moderator

Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:08 pm

Dirk-

Sounds like a happy accident :nutters:
Let us know how that tastes with come co2 in it, and be sure to repost the actual recipe (if you think others might want to brew it).
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:45 pm

'kay, here's my recipe. My efficiency is a crappy 58%. Don't even start.

13 lb Pale Malt 77.61 %
1.50 lb White Wheat Malt 8.96 %
0.75 lb Crystal 80L 4.48 %
0.50 lb Cara-Pils 2.99 %
1# chocolate wheat malt 5.98%
0.60 oz Galena 13%/90 min
0.25 oz Cascade 5.5%/30 min
0.25 oz Mt. Hood 6%/5 min
2.25 oz Pecans, chopped
WLP002 English Ale Yeast

I toasted the pecans at 350F for 15 minutes, until they were golden brown, stirring every four minutes or so. It was Thanksgiving time so there were fresh pecans for pecan pies in the supermarket, which is why I went with 2.25 ounces of pecans instead of 2.82 oz in the Holgate recipe. I let the pecans cool, then put them in a bowl and covered with cling wrap. Cling wrap, by the way, clings to nothing but itself. So I wrapped the wrap twice around the bowl. The next day, I doughed in and poured the pecans into the mash, and let it sit at 154F for an hour.
Dirk McLargeHuge
Global Moderator

Next

Return to The Jamil Show / Can You Brew It?