Meantime IPA - bitterness?

Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:15 pm

I’m interested in brewing the Meantime IPA recipe from the most recent CYBI.

During the interview the brewer states the beer works out at approx 75 IBUs. However when going through his recipe Jamil states 30 IBUs, and my calculation of the bitterness from the recipe works out at about the same (30)

I know there are differences between actual and calculated bitterness.

Meantime use first wort hopping and a whirlpool – which will both increase utilisation. What I don’t understand is how this can be predicted on a home brew system? (eg what sort of utilisation should I expect from first wort hopping? Should I just go with a 75 minute addition and ignore the first wort hopping as it is predictable? Or forget about all these questions and just have a crack using JZ’s recipe? etc)

Can anybody help me out?

Cheers
Paul
Paul V

Re: Meantime IPA - bitterness?

Mon May 02, 2011 1:00 am

Can't help much with your question - but on the hopping front - it seems to me there has been a dry hopping missed from the clone attempt. It is discussed during the interview during the portion when they discuss the fermentation temps etc. and then not mentioned again...

Kev
koalasprint

Return to The Jamil Show / Can You Brew It?