Modus Hoperandi show

Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:50 am

Good stuff- one of my very favorite IPA's. Interesting about the salts in the grain pre-crush. Tasty - my water profile is pretty neutral. For 6 gal of this I am planning on 6 g of each salt with my crush. Would you also then add 6 g more of each to the boil? Your opinion please. Yeh I know this is all based on a water report, but this stuff drives me nuts! And it always seems to be a moving target anyway....
IN THE BOTTLE:Imperial Aussie Ale, AB and oaked AB, Semper Fi Tripple
IN THE PRIMARY:
IN THE SECONDARY:
LAGERING :
ON DECK:Baltic Porter
ggltd

Re: Modus Hoperandi show

Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:45 am

If you want something plain and simple, try this link: http://carboyclub.com/newslet/ferm0297. ... chor447348

A couple of guys in my club wrote it back in 97 based on our water report. I haven't read your water report, but from driving through Charlotte, I bet it's pretty similar to us up here in the Triangle. Another approach would be to brew the beer and then doctor a pint to taste by dosing it with a solution made from gypsum and calcium chloride. One of the later shows with Colin Kaminsky talked about this method. Colin understands water.
Find success in college, work with a college success coach at http://www.deliberateliving.org/
Tom from Raleigh

Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:43 am

Tom : Thank you , Thank you , Thank you , Thank you. I have read a lot about this, talked to people at the water company, and crossed my eyes trying to figure out the water reports. I actually live in Cornelius 5 minutes from Lake Norman, but no one can tell me what our source is. This is the best article I ever read on the subject. I will use this as a starting point.
IN THE PRIMARY:
IN THE SECONDARY:
LAGERING :
ggltd

Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:03 am

Sure, man. Happy to help. Have you been to Ass Clown Brewery yet? Looks to be quite local to you. I don't get down that way too much, but he seems to be doing good things. I'd bet he has thoughts on water.
Find success in college, work with a college success coach at http://www.deliberateliving.org/
Tom from Raleigh

Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:21 am

Tom: Just a quick on the same topic. The recipe for this IPA (from CYBI) calls for gypsum, baking soda, and canning/pickling salt. On your chart are the last two covered by the epsom salts?
IN THE PRIMARY:
IN THE SECONDARY:
LAGERING :
ggltd

Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:39 pm

I just kegged my Modus about two hours ago and it is perfect.

I changed their receipt up a tiny bit based the comment that they made about SKA's version having a little bit of nutty flavor, so replaced 2.5 pounds of 2 row with MO. It tastes and looks Identical to me. I think they use an english blend of 2 row.

Mine is on the left (2 hours in the keg to it's still needs to clear)

NervousDad

Return to The Jamil Show / Can You Brew It?