London and Paris

Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:44 pm

This is a summer trip, but I am trying to narrow my search for great beer in London and Paris. I plan to go to CASK and Brewdog Camden. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Girth Brooks

Re: London and Paris

Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:36 pm

Welcome-
(sorry I can't help with recommendations but I'm sure others will chime in).

You should pop over into the new users area and tell us a few things about yourself.
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:49 pm

Girth Brooks wrote:This is a summer trip, but I am trying to narrow my search for great beer in London and Paris. I plan to go to CASK and Brewdog Camden. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Brewdog Camden is my favorite in London. Camden town will remind you a little of Seattle or Portland. About 3 more stops further and you'll be in Hampstead, which is sort of like London's version of Beverly Hills. There are GREAT pubs in that area, and they're reasonably priced. My favorite is the Holly Bush. The Horniman in the Hay's Galleria near Tower Bridge has about 10 local microbrews on tap at all times. Also, check out a Fulham Football match You shouldn't have any problems getting tickets. Their ground is right on the Thames, and it's another great part of town.
Come On Fulham!!

"...know your process, know your yeast." - Ozwald
BeaverBarber

Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:04 pm

BeaverBarber wrote:
Girth Brooks wrote:This is a summer trip, but I am trying to narrow my search for great beer in London and Paris. I plan to go to CASK and Brewdog Camden. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Brewdog Camden is my favorite in London. Camden town will remind you a little of Seattle or Portland. About 3 more stops further and you'll be in Hampstead, which is sort of like London's version of Beverly Hills. There are GREAT pubs in that area, and they're reasonably priced. My favorite is the Holly Bush. The Horniman in the Hay's Galleria near Tower Bridge has about 10 local microbrews on tap at all times. Also, check out a Fulham Football match You shouldn't have any problems getting tickets. Their ground is right on the Thames, and it's another great part of town.

Great info. Time to make the wife see the light.
Girth Brooks

Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:53 pm

My experience in Paris (or france for that matter) is that the beer is pretty average. However!, I did not make it to the region that borders Belgium I think you would find excellent beer in that area. It is just harder to find throughout the rest of the country. I did stop by the Beer store that the Session interviewed back in 2006 or 2007. It had a decent selection of belgian and french beers. And of course their novelty is higher hopped "american style" beers. But I skipped those since I can get that back home. Btw, Cantillon is very cheap in comparison over there.

Enjoy! And enjoy the wine too because it's usually much better than the beer and at a good price.
Nasty Nate

Wed May 15, 2013 9:41 am

Two great places in Paris are:
-www.caveabulles.fr/‎
A few things are cold, but it is mostly a bottle shop, and it is centrally located in the Marais. The owner was on the show a few years back when they did the French beer episode.
-http://www.brewberry.fr/
Wonderful selection of beers from around the world, staff is great and the area around it is quite lively as well
"Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer."
-Dave Barry
bklynbrewer

Wed May 15, 2013 7:48 pm

In Paris I went to Brasserie O'Neil, restaurant website and Brasserie O'Neil, Yelp. It's the first brewpub to open in Paris. The beer wasn't anything earth shattering but it was good and the food was decent.

When I was in London I drank at The Cask and Glass Pub. It's kind of by Buckingham Palace. It's a Shepherd Neame's pub and it was in the CAMRA guide when I was over there. It's a quaint little pub. The bar tenders were really nice and the locals were really nice to me.
forcera

Sun May 19, 2013 8:28 am

mi6op wrote:My experience in Paris (or france for that matter) is that the beer is pretty average. However!, I did not make it to the region that borders Belgium I think you would find excellent beer in that area. It is just harder to find throughout the rest of the country. I did stop by the Beer store that the Session interviewed back in 2006 or 2007. It had a decent selection of belgian and french beers. And of course their novelty is higher hopped "american style" beers. But I skipped those since I can get that back home. Btw, Cantillon is very cheap in comparison over there.

Enjoy! And enjoy the wine too because it's usually much better than the beer and at a good price.

Yeah, that part of the trip is definitely going to be more about wine than beer. I was mostly hoping to come home with a reasonably priced Belgian beer suitcase, heavy on the Cantillon.

I am still catching up on the Session podcasts, and I skipped the French Beer one. I'll check it out.
Girth Brooks

Next

Return to Travel