Williamsburg, Virginia

Sun May 17, 2015 9:00 am

I'll be in Williamsburg visiting family for a week, so I'm looking for some places to go enjoy some good beer. I've seen that Williamsburg Aleworks is the top choice in the area, but was wondering if any of you :asshat: had a favorite spot or a great bottle shop in the area.

:jnj -Pork
Bottled: fresh hop pale ale
On tap: Moose bile strong ale
In the cellar: Taqu'il's Fat Black Imperial Stout
Lagering:
In the fermenter: Moose drool clone
In the works: Taqu'il's Fat Black Imperial stout
PorkSlapper

Re: Williamsburg, Virginia

Mon May 18, 2015 6:53 am

I'm a fan of the Greene Leaf Cafe on Scotland Street. It's right across the street from William and Mary so it's decidedly a college bar but the draft selection is really good. Dog Street Pub on Duke of Gloucester Street in Merchants Square may have the most interesting tap list in town, and it's decidedly not a college bar. Tap list is on their home page.

Bottle shops aren't a big thing there but The Cheese Shop, also in Merchants Square, has a wine shop downstairs that has an OK beer selection as well. The Wine Seller in Monticello Marketplace has a small but good selection and a small growler station. When I was there last week it was mostly Founders and Stone for growlers.

I haven't been to the new Alewerks taproom since they've remodeled but I do like what they make so it's on my list when I go visit my family again in June. They have a fantastic bourbon barrel porter, may be one of the best I've had. The bourbon is very restrained so it accents a great porter rather than punching you in hte face and making you forget about the beer.
Insert beer quote of dubious origin here

Corporal - BN Army :bnarmy:
Military Finance Division
Charlotte, NC
KiltedDrummer

Return to Travel