Using Plastic Mash Tun & HLT on levl sculpture

Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:55 am

I'm building a single-level sculpture with a single burner under the kettle and 2 pumps below the kettle & MT & HLT. It is all framed up with 1 7/8" Super Strut. I have a 15 Gal. stainless kettle on one end, a 10 Gal. Igloo Mash Tun with false bottom in the middle, and a 10 Gal Igloo HLT on the far end. I'm mounting a single turkey fryer burner under the kettle, but am worried that the frame will get too hot to rest the Igloos on. A couple of suggestions are to mount a wood shelf between the frame and coolers (which may flame up), to put a stainless deflector shield beneath the brner, and even to watercool the frame. I'm wondering if anyone has built a single level, multi-material sculpture with igloos and could offer some photos/advice. Also, any sample shots of a control panel would be a great help. Thanks.
grundlebrau

Re: Using Plastic Mash Tun & HLT on levl sculpture

Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:26 am

You could put some metal on the outside of the plastic to reflect the heat away or put some of that spray in insulation between the metal and the plastic.
-"You want a beer?"
-"But it's 7am"
-"Scotch?"
ziggy

Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:04 am

Heres some pictures of homebrewers systems. You probably run across what you are looking for here.

http://www.brewzilla.nl/?brewhalla
Quin

Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:22 am

I put a piece of 1/4" cement board (hardiebacker) under mine and it's worked great. Cement board is the stuff you can get at HD or Lowes that goes under tile. Pretty cheap.

Sam Scott

Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:06 pm

Hey thanks guys. I fired it up this weekend and think I have it sorted. The pics helped. :asshat:
grundlebrau

Thu May 28, 2009 6:45 pm

I also want to build a level sculpture with a plastic mash tune and hlt. But I was wondering if the grain bed would be compacted if you use a pump to pump the wort from the mash tun to the boil kettle? Is that a problem? Or do you just have to be very careful? I use gravity now.
"It's a man's obligation to stick his boneration in a women's separation; this sort of penetration will increase the population of the younger generation." - Eric Cartman

Primary - Cream Ale
On Tap - Blonde Ale
Smiley Dan

Return to Brewing Sculptures