Is galvanized steel ok for brewing?

Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:22 am

I might have posted this in the wrong spot, so if you already saw this question in "brewing equipment" then aorry about that...

Is Galvanized steel safe to use on my march pump? I got a tee and some nipples to put a bleed-off on the in side. Both my mash and cooling wort may come into contact with this, and I nee dto know if it is both sanitizable or dangerous or something...
cheers
Please let me know if my response has offended you in some way.
wood

Re: Is galvanized steel ok for brewing?

Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:31 pm

I posted this in the other thread, too. Wort is acidic and you might leach too much zinc from the galvanized. Small amounts are needed by the yeast - but I think that will be too much.

Mylo
"Life is too short to bottle homebrew." - Me

"HEINEKEN? Fuck that shit! Pabst Blue Ribbon!!!" - Dennis Hopper, in Blue Velvet
Mylo
Global Moderator

Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:59 pm

Thanks, Mylo - I have been getting similar advice - it seems to be a great way to make poison beer.

That isn't a style I saw in the BJCP, but maybe they can create a new style called "poison beer".

Would you add oak to that?

I shall return the galvanized and get stainless - B3 just always seems to be out of stock of all the items I need lately! :x

oh, well - thanks again
wood

Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:42 am

wood wrote:Thanks, Mylo - I have been getting similar advice - it seems to be a great way to make poison beer.

That isn't a style I saw in the BJCP, but maybe they can create a new style called "poison beer".

Would you add oak to that?

I shall return the galvanized and get stainless - B3 just always seems to be out of stock of all the items I need lately! :x

oh, well - thanks again

:) :) :)

Mylo
"Life is too short to bottle homebrew." - Me

"HEINEKEN? Fuck that shit! Pabst Blue Ribbon!!!" - Dennis Hopper, in Blue Velvet
Mylo
Global Moderator

Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:48 pm

I was wondering the same thing, let me know if you find another source for that SS Tee from B3. I am in need of one too.
Nate
http://www.nebraskabeerblog.com
Beers on tap-Schwarzbier, RyeIPA
BrewBum

Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:14 pm

BrewBum wrote:I was wondering the same thing, let me know if you find another source for that SS Tee from B3. I am in need of one too.

Will do - still looking mysellf...still not there - maybe Mcmaster Carr has it? Their website is intimidating...

hot nuts.
wood

Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:59 am

wood wrote:
BrewBum wrote:I was wondering the same thing, let me know if you find another source for that SS Tee from B3. I am in need of one too.

Will do - still looking mysellf...still not there - maybe Mcmaster Carr has it? Their website is intimidating...

hot nuts.

They had some on Grainger but they were pricey, and I haven't even attempted McMaster Carr, I like turtles and that site is not turtle friendly.
Nate
http://www.nebraskabeerblog.com
Beers on tap-Schwarzbier, RyeIPA
BrewBum

Return to Brewing Sculptures