Early B-day! Have ??s

Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:04 pm

Last week i picked up 3 keggles. Today my pop had an early b-day gift waiting for me. I didnt even ask for it! It is some old racks from a place that sold doors. The big pieces are 60" wide and I dont know how tall! The other pieces are over 7' long! All of it is 1 1/8" square tubing! OK, I know that it isnt large tubing but I have enough to make sure it is braced very well.
Here is what I need:
How long do you guys think my rack should be (how much space in between kegs)?
How tall are you rigs?
How wide are your rigs?

I know after all is said and done it is up to me, I just want to know your opnions and what you have learned over the years?

PS: How far should my gas header be from my falme?

Thanks fellas!
Normal is getting dressed and driving through traffic in a car that you are still paying for, in order to get the job you need to pay for the cloths and the car and the house you leave vacant all day so you can afford to live in it.
budrockdiesel

Re: Early B-day! Have ??s

Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:25 pm

I am not sure what style of scupture you are looking to build. You have to decide that first. Gravity is nice, because it's easy and no pumps are required. I just sold my gravity setup. I got tired of climbing a step ladder to dough in. I'm currently building a brutus-like system. I made mine large enough to accomodate kegs - or eventually the 10G or 20G morebeer kettles. There is a free program called "Co-Create Modelling" that will allow you to do a 3D model and you can easily create 2D drawings based on the model. I highly recommend it.

Here is a screenshot : Image

Mylo
"Life is too short to bottle homebrew." - Me

"HEINEKEN? Fuck that shit! Pabst Blue Ribbon!!!" - Dennis Hopper, in Blue Velvet
Mylo
Global Moderator

Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:53 pm

sorry, been drinking
3 kegs with pump, brutus like
what yall got
Normal is getting dressed and driving through traffic in a car that you are still paying for, in order to get the job you need to pay for the cloths and the car and the house you leave vacant all day so you can afford to live in it.
budrockdiesel

Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:21 pm

I have a brutus built to specs. If I were to do it again, I'd make it wider so I could eventually move from kegs to nice shiny kettles.
"I feel sorry for those who don't drink because when they get up in the morning that's as good as they're going to feel all day."
— Frank Sinatra
Lars

Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:27 am

I have a brutus clone made from the brutus plans and it is made with 1 1/2 inch square tubing. It is 51 inches wide, 28 inches tall (without casters on bottom) and 15 inches front to back. I use three keggles and they are a few inches away from each other but not crowded.
marvelman742

Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:11 am

budrockdiesel wrote:sorry, been drinking
3 kegs with pump, brutus like
what yall got

I'm using 3 kegs on a "brutus-like" single-tier stand with one pump (batch sparging). The frame is 54 inches long by 16-1/2 inches deep and 21 inches high. It stands 25-3/4 inches high after bolting on the casters. I'm very happy with the height of the stand.

Here's a write-up on it with some pictures...
Weldless Brew Stand
Sam Scott

Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:39 am

Here's what I based my system on:
More info here.

But I actually made my system a little wider to handle 30 gallon brew pots should I want to go bigger some day. My system is discussed here, but most of the pictures are gone now. (My ISP got out of the hosting biz and I haven't picked a new place to host them.) Oh, and I picked the height to be tall enough to gravity feed my 14.5 gallon Fermentator, without wheels. I haven't decided if I want wheels yet or not. If I decide I want the stand to be taller, I'll add wheels. If I decide I want it to be shorter, I'll chop off the legs and go to pumping to fill the fermenter.

-Eric
Aging: Gotlandsdrickå, Baltic Porter in Bourbon barrel, Olde Ale #2 in whiskey barrel
On Draft: Nothing. Building a walk-in cooler right now.
foomench

Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:55 am

Thanks for all of the help! I have started on my build and will post pics as soon as I am done.
budrockdiesel

Return to Brewing Sculptures