Frig and freezer at same time?

Tue May 12, 2009 5:39 pm

I just got a frig for free and wanted to use it for fermentation. Can I keep the freezer working and just rewire a new thermostat for the frig part? I already have a converted chest freezer for kegs. The wife wants to be able to use the 2nd frig freezer.
Ryan
Bach Brewing Company

On tap- IPA, Buckwheat Saison, Belgian Blond w/Bugs, Berliner Weiss, Abbey Single
Fermenting- Buckwheat Saison w/Bugfarm #4, Apple Brandy Golden Strong w/ Brett, Belgian Red #3
Coming Up- Rye Saison 3 way, Octoberfest
brewtoomuch

Re: Frig and freezer at same time?

Tue May 12, 2009 5:51 pm

Probably not. Most fridges just have one temp control. Those that have two have a small heater in the freezer (for defrosting, and for adjusting freezer temp). You'd be best off to use that fridge for your kegs or bottles, and let the wife have the freezer. Then you can convert your chest freezer for fermentation - or even better - build a "Mother" like I did.

Mylo
"Life is too short to bottle homebrew." - Me

"HEINEKEN? Fuck that shit! Pabst Blue Ribbon!!!" - Dennis Hopper, in Blue Velvet
Mylo
Global Moderator

Tue May 12, 2009 6:20 pm

Yep - with the refer part set to 68F or so my freezer compartment above does not get down below 50F. Might be good for grain storage, but not for frozen goods.
bcmaui

Sat May 16, 2009 6:47 am

Most side by sides have only one cooling plant(compressor,etc)but the freezer could be configured to operate on it's own and with a little know how you could have a separate control for the fridge.Household units are basically just a freezer and the fridge just robs enough cold air to keep it's temperature through an air duct.
You could block the factory air duct and make a new one that could be controlled with another tstat & fan.I remember an old fridge that had similar set ups and just used a bellows controlled damper to do that.
BM1

Return to Brewing Sculptures