two burners, one regulator?

Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:09 pm

I had a quick question, if you are using a LP and HP burner on a sculpture, can you just buy one regulator that ranges from 0-30 psi for both or do you have to buy two regulators???

Thanks,
mike
swifty

Re: two burners, one regulator?

Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:18 am

Sure... You might have to get two needle valves so that you can fine tune either one if you happen to be using them both at the same time - but I did it on my last sculpture.

Mylo
"Life is too short to bottle homebrew." - Me

"HEINEKEN? Fuck that shit! Pabst Blue Ribbon!!!" - Dennis Hopper, in Blue Velvet
Mylo
Global Moderator

Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:44 am

You could run as many burners as practical after the regulator as you want if the low pressure piping is correctly sized with no problem. All the regulator does is separate your high pressure gas (so you can store more gas in a small space) from your low pressure gas line(s) that your fixtures are designed to draw from. Even in a large propane outfitted home there often is a single regulator if all of the supply tanks are located in the same place. If you do not have enough fuel making it to the fixture that is because the size of the low pressure supply line is too small. We run into to this on a regular basis when folks think about adding a propane swimming pool heater - often a larger pipe needs to be run all the way back to the regulator as the home often is not sized with a distant pool heater in mind.
bcmaui

Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:33 pm

There is a video of it out there on the Interwebs. One burner takes off it's air gate and dumps it's propane into a regulator - then the other burner burns it. Then both burners take turns taking fuel from the regulator, and swish it around on their burning surface. Then they start puking on each other...

Mylo
"Life is too short to bottle homebrew." - Me

"HEINEKEN? Fuck that shit! Pabst Blue Ribbon!!!" - Dennis Hopper, in Blue Velvet
Mylo
Global Moderator

Return to Brewing Sculptures