Re: what am I doing wrong (wiring) UPDATE

Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:45 am

Ok I got different outlets for the pumps (110v ) and I changed out the swiches, I went to Radio Shack and bought toggle switches LINKY

I am able to wire the main power cord to an on/off switch and also get power to one of the outlets and turn it on and off by a switch. My problem is I can't get power to any other of the components (love other outlet etc)

My issues so far is that i have 3 8-Position Dual-Row Barrier Strips LINKY
1 for the hot wire (Black)
1 for the neutral wire (White)
1 for the ground wire (Green)

do I need to provide some type of jumper on the black to I can get connectivity to the other terminals on that strip

I am following Lonnies diagram in BYO but am having nothing but frustration.
Droodles1

Re: what am I doing wrong (wiring) Update

Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:46 am

How about detailed photos of what you have wired?
code
codewritinfool

Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:50 am

it will have to be tonight
Droodles1

Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:48 pm

Yes, if you are using those strips, you have to have a jumper which makes all the terminals on it "hot"...otherwise, the only HOT leg, is the one directly across from the black wire!

You will need these

Sergeant, Gulf Coast, Air Force Div.

Keeper of the :asshat: 2011-2012

"Push keeps shoving something in my mouth" Kim Woods

BJCP Judge
Whitebeard_Brewer

Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:13 am

Whitebeard_Brewer wrote:Yes, if you are using those strips, you have to have a jumper which makes all the terminals on it "hot"...otherwise, the only HOT leg, is the one directly across from the black wire!

You will need these

bought one last night thanks
Droodles1

Re: what am I doing wrong (wiring)

Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:51 pm

Not sure if this is the most recent thread on this topic but here goes....

Code - I have wired my system and am running into similar issues as above.

Love controllers and pumps use the same toggle switch. Loves light up just fine but once I turn on the pump switch I pop the GFCI.

Note: I have the pump ground running to the ground bus and the switch ground (pin #3) running to the same bus.

Neutral from the pump is running to the netural bus.

Feed (power/black) is coming from the hot bus into pin #1. Black feed back to pump is on pin #2. (Ground is on pin #3)..heading back to the ground bus.

Q./ Are you suggesting that the #2 pin should be neutral?

Sorry to be a bit slow but as many have written, wiring is not my thing.

Thanks!

-Shark

CodeRage wrote:switch wiring.
pin 3 should goto 110v
pin 2 should goto the black wire of the pump
pin 1 should goto neutral
*Don't bond neutral to ground. the ground conductor is not intended to be a current carrying conductor. The only place these two should be bonded is in the service panel.

pump wiring.
pin 2 of the switch to black
ground to green
neutral to white.

If it doesn't work, double check the pin out of the switch. I thought the bronze pin normally went to neutral...

Now if you are running 240v to the pumps and they are rated for 240 there should not be a white wire on the pump. It will be red instead (or should be)
If that is the case then wire everything the same except wire the red wire to the second leg of 240. I would hazard to guess that you got the wrong socket image though..
Rehab is for Quitters!
Landshark

Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:17 pm

Landshark wrote:Code - I have wired my system and am running into similar issues as above.

CodeRage wrote:switch wiring.
pin 3 should goto 110v
pin 2 should goto the black wire of the pump
pin 1 should goto neutral
*Don't bond neutral to ground. the ground conductor is not intended to be a current carrying conductor. The only place these two should be bonded is in the service panel.

pump wiring.
pin 2 of the switch to black
ground to green
neutral to white.

If it doesn't work, double check the pin out of the switch. I thought the bronze pin normally went to neutral...

Now if you are running 240v to the pumps and they are rated for 240 there should not be a white wire on the pump. It will be red instead (or should be)
If that is the case then wire everything the same except wire the red wire to the second leg of 240. I would hazard to guess that you got the wrong socket image though..

*I am Code.* CodeRage is not me. If you post detailed photos I can help you.
code
codewritinfool

Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:35 am

Code,

Thanks for offering.

Step one was figuring how to upload the drawing. (Mission accomplished)..kinda big

Other notes about the system. I am plugging the main power coard into a GFCI outlet. it is on a designated breaker. Beer fridge is also on the outlet. The breaker is 20amp.

The toggle switches for the Loves and the pumps are wired the same.
Post #1 Black power from bus
Post #2 Black power to accessory
Post #3 wire to ground bus

Shark :bnarmy:
Rehab is for Quitters!
Landshark

PreviousNext

Return to Brewing Sculptures