sanitizing a pump

Tue May 16, 2006 5:02 am

I am new to this forum but I have been brewing for over 10 years. I just recently got a pump to use for my recirculating, step mashing, and spariging. What is the best way to sanitize a pump the first time. Should I use PBW, boiling water or something else? I know for the tubing what to do, but not the pump.

Thanks everyone

Erik
braumeister.erik

Tue May 16, 2006 7:54 am

When I first started using my pump I ran boiliing water thru followed by Oxyclean, then again with boiling water. Now I use boiling water before and after use and havent had any problems yet. I only have 4 brews on the pump and plan to remove the pump head to see if any nasties have built up in there.

To answer your question Hot water and PBW would do quite well and keep your new pump clean. You only need a gallon or two of each one (juts enough to circulate), and can be reused. I think that Oxyclean or OneStep would also be an alternative.

HH
Anderson Valley Brewing Co. (Bahl hornin')

Hell Freezes over show
" I am gunna guess this is an IPA. Its the same color as one and kinda tastes like one"
Dr Scott 8:10 pm Sunday Jan. 14th, 2007
Homegrown Hops

Tue May 16, 2006 8:00 am

Hey Erik,

If you're not pumping COOL wort, and only using it for steps before the boil, it does not need to be sanitized. Sure you want it clean, but sanitizing it is not necessary unless you are pumping cool wort. As Homegrown said, PBW and hot water will keep it clean, but don't use boiling water. Depending on what pump you are using it has an upper limit to the temps it can handle.

Rob
Speyedr

Tue May 16, 2006 8:03 am

Speyedr wrote: Depending on what pump you are using it has an upper limit to the temps it can handle.

Rob
Great point that I overlooked. I naturally assumed that we were talking about a march pump. The info I gave is based on the high heat pump that B3 sells.

Thanks for mentioning that Speyedr

HH

Hell Freezes over show
" I am gunna guess this is an IPA. Its the same color as one and kinda tastes like one"
Homegrown Hops

Tue May 16, 2006 8:34 am

Homegrown Hops wrote:
Speyedr wrote: Depending on what pump you are using it has an upper limit to the temps it can handle.

Rob
Great point that I overlooked. I naturally assumed that we were talking about a march pump. The info I gave is based on the high heat pump that B3 sells.

Thanks for mentioning that Speyedr

HH

How's that working for you HH? I just ordered one too and I've been meaning to ask you how your recirculations are doing, etc. Any pointers?
Speyedr

Tue May 16, 2006 9:13 am

Before you use it the first time, run warm PBW through it just in case there is any residue from the manufacturing process. Then run lots of clean water through it. Should be good to go after that.
I hope my post helped in some way. If not, please feel free to contact me.

Jamil Zainasheff
http://www.mrmalty.com

"The yeast is strong within you." K. Zainasheff
jamilz

Tue May 16, 2006 2:27 pm

Speyedr wrote:How's that working for you HH? I just ordered one too and I've been meaning to ask you how your recirculations are doing, etc. Any pointers?
Working just dandy thanks. I strongly suggest forking out the extra duckets on brass QD's, You will not be sorry. My next project will be a power box with GCFI outlet and a decent switch. Other than that a device to easily prime the pump (see johnplctech post http://morebeer.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.ph ... highlight=)

Thats about it

HH

Hell Freezes over show
Homegrown Hops

Wed May 17, 2006 10:19 pm

While bringing my mash water up to temp in my HLT I recirc a few gallons of PBW in my boil kettle through my pump, followed by water.

I have never bothered sanitizing it as I too shove hot wort through it after the boil.
Asshat of the Year ('06)
Proud Drunk of the Year Nominee ('08)
Beevo, "I burned my tongue."
Doc, "Slow down."
Gadgets
CoVBS
Push Eject
Butcher

Return to Brewing Sculptures