water adjustment with deadspace

Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:56 pm

my 1550 will be in this week and i think i know the answer to this question but need an affirmation.i know that i should ignore the dead space volume in mash calculations but do i also ignore it for water treatment calculations? seems stupid to ask but i cant find it in print anywhere.
positiverpr

Re: water adjustment with deadspace

Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:32 pm

What you are looking for is the concentration of ions in ppm. In other words, you need to consider the total volume of water.

Wayne.
Bugeater Brewing Company
http://www.lincolnlagers.com
Bugeater

Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:27 pm

i was just confused as i was told to "just assume that the deadspace water isnt a part of the mash". i guess that not considering it in salt additions would just dilute your overall values. i just never have seen this question addressed but maybe its to "common-sense' to have needed addressing. thanks bug. guess i'll be using salts on this system.
positiverpr

Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:53 am

i think the difference here is that the mash volume is a function of liquid touching grains. liquid under the false bottom will be doing little to help you mash. the ions in solution however are a concentration. since they pass through the false bottom readily, you have to treat that calculation as a whole.
zee

Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:05 pm

exactly- once i got my head out of my ass it was obvious. i'm just used to mashing in an igloo and hadnt really considered deadspace before.
thanks
positiverpr

Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:08 am

positiverpr wrote:exactly- once i got my head out of my ass it was obvious. i'm just used to mashing in an igloo and hadnt really considered deadspace before.
thanks

Cold in there?
Aging: Gotlandsdrickå, Baltic Porter in Bourbon barrel, Olde Ale #2 in whiskey barrel
On Draft: Nothing. Building a walk-in cooler right now.
foomench

Return to Brewing Sculptures