Re: Soft or rigid liquid lines?

Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:26 pm

I've been contemplating exactly that. Swagelock and half inch SST tube.

The Cerrobend people insist that you leave no bending alloy behind of you first treat your tubing with vegetable oil. They claim the molten alloy won't break the oil film.

I've bent tubes with cerrobend and it's a breeze. No kinks no breaks no hassle.
Tight bends causes wrinkling on the inside of the bend.

I have looked around for a tube bending operation that does food grade and uses cerrobend. Haven't found it.
HEY~!! It's a hobby~!! It's NOT supposed to make sense~!!
Cliff

Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:49 pm

I was there this last month.

I can bend SST tubing like there's no tomorrow using Cerrobend and they even have a new polymer version. Hell I used to design and build tube bending tooling for a Jet Engine manufacturing jobber.
And it looks so cool.
But I got to thinking about flexibility. What if I want to take a pump out and do something to it? Maybe get the hop debries that slipped past my filter and jammed it up?
Or what about anything else that I might want to move or adjust. Hard lines would require more Swagelock and Parker and other compression fittings driving up my cost substantially and for what? Ever cost out a SST union?

So I went to McMaster Carr and bought some Food Grade thickwall silicone today.
HEY~!! It's a hobby~!! It's NOT supposed to make sense~!!
Cliff

Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:43 pm

FWIW, McMaster Carr is charging over $3/ft for 3/4 OD 1/2 ID soft food grade hi-temp silicone hose. Morebeer has it for $2.10. Don't know about other homebrew suppliers.
"I don’t want no trub..."
hiroller173

Previous

Return to Brewing Sculptures