20 gallon kettles?

Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:38 pm

I'm looking at a couple different systems. But I think if B3 offered a Tippy dump with 20 gallon kettles, I'd pull the trigger. Plenty of head room to to 12-14 gallon batches. Still small enough for a typical 6 gallon batch. ( I think)

I actually asked about this during a call to B3. He said he'd pass the request along.

Anyone else out there think this is a worthwhile idea???
saltydawg

Re: 20 gallon kettles?

Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:05 pm

saltydawg wrote: Plenty of head room to to 12-14 gallon batches. Still small enough for a typical 6 gallon batch. ( I think)

The mash tun is going to be an issue trying to do a 6 gal small beer in a 20 gal pot. Likely the bed will be too shallow ( < 4" ) and the volume won't be large enough to reach the thermometer stem (or sensor) so you won't know the temp without using a manual immersion thermometer.

You can overcome that, but be aware of it.

I have (ahem) 3 mash tuns: A 20 qt Tremonti (for 5 gal beer up to 1.060), a 10 gal Blichmann (for 10 gal small beer or 5 gal big beer) and a 1/2 barrel keggle (for 10 gal big beer or 5 gal barleywine). I don't see any way to get around it if I want both small and big beer in 5 and 10 gal batches.

Charlie (doesn't brew a 10 gal big beer unless he really likes it)
"Yes officer, I know that I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!"
Charlie

Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:36 pm

Charlie wrote:The mash tun is going to be an issue trying to do a 6 gal small beer in a 20 gal pot. Likely the bed will be too shallow ( < 4" ) and the volume won't be large enough to reach the thermometer stem (or sensor) so you won't know the temp without using a manual immersion thermometer.

Allright... exactly the sort of things I'm wondering about.

Any input helps, I don't want to end up with buyers remorse!
saltydawg

Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:29 pm

Instawares has huge pots on sale cheap.

I'm putting a 12 gallon setup together using 2, 80 quart pots. It'll be designed like a brutus but electrical and run using a BCS 460.

HEY~!! It's a hobby~!! It's NOT supposed to make sense~!!
Cliff

Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:31 pm

Allright... exactly the sort of things I'm wondering about.

Any input helps, I don't want to end up with buyers remorse!

Yah get a bigger fermenter.
HEY~!! It's a hobby~!! It's NOT supposed to make sense~!!
Cliff

Return to Brewing Sculptures