Clamp a burner to my stand? And caps for the legs?

Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:39 pm

As my brewstand sits in the garage waiting for the basement to be finished with 240V power (no timetable for that, whatsoever), I improvise by boiling on my old outdoor burner. Watching the boil yesterday motivated me to figure out how to mount the burner on the stand, but just temporarily. My stand has legs on the corners made of 1.5" x 1.5" tube steel, 11 gauge I think. Is there some sort of clamp I could put around one of the legs to attach a burner to? If there is, this would allow me to just put the burner on when I want to be mobile, take it off when I'm plugged in. Also, It might allow me to easily adjust the height with respect to the boil vessel.

Anyone have an idea how to clamp onto 1.5" square tube? I found this, but for $100 I'll try to fabricate something myself. At Cole-Parmer I found all sorts of clamps, but they aren't really big enough. [url]This place[/url] has stuff that is big enough, but I don't think they are going to sell me just one clamp. If I can't find something for cheap, how would you make something? I've got some angle stock and other pieces of steel I (well, my beer appreciative neighbor) can weld.

On the subject of those 1.5" square tube legs ... Where can I buy just four plastic end caps to go in them? I found these online, but in much larger quantities than I need. Update: Found this place that has four for $7.92 by the time you add in shipping and handling, and here's 25 for $10.71. I'm trying decide what I could do with the extras.
Aging: Gotlandsdrickå, Baltic Porter in Bourbon barrel, Olde Ale #2 in whiskey barrel
On Draft: Nothing. Building a walk-in cooler right now.
foomench

Re: Clamp a burner to my stand? And caps for the legs?

Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:34 am

I'm not sure exactly how your stand is set up, but two ideas come to mind. 1st (and possibly the least attractive) have your welding buddy weld up a little stand that will hold the burner and fit inside your existing set-up ... basically a burner that has it's own individual a stand with dimensions that fit your brew "sculpture". 2nd (and perhaps a cleaner look) build a shelf that holds a burner and is designed to attach to the existing stand via removeable pins that go through your exising 1.5 inch frame. You can attache/remove the burner shelf as desired and it will take up a relatively small space compared to option 1.

I guess you could also permanently weld the "shelf" onto the brewing stand and just add/remove the burner with a wing nut as desired. Hope this sparks some ideas and good luck.
Eagle Dude

On Tap: Barrel Fermented Berlinerweisse 3.2%; American Pale Ale 6.3%, Amarillo Blond 5%
Aging: Flander's Red in a 60 gallon Merlot barrel
Fermenting: Robust Porter 6.5%
EagleDude

Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:55 pm

I second the shelf idea. You could get two of these.
http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardware ... ogId=10053

To make a shelf with and just drill through your frame and bolt it on. Then you only have a few extra holes. There are some of these brackets that are rated for 200 lbs.
Grizz

Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:54 am

Thanks for the replies, but in the mean time my neighbor and I came up with an idea kind of similar to the shelf bracket. We're going to split a scrap piece of one those corner legs to get two pieces of angle iron and make a clamp out of those, then make a shelf bracket on one side of the clamp. I made a jig to do the splitting yesterday. I was just going to screw a bracket into the leg when my neighbor came up with the clamp idea and reminded me it would make the burner height easily adjustable, which is something I kind of wanted.
Aging: Gotlandsdrickå, Baltic Porter in Bourbon barrel, Olde Ale #2 in whiskey barrel
On Draft: Nothing. Building a walk-in cooler right now.
foomench

Return to Brewing Sculptures