ScrapHeap V2.1 for your review and critique

Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:17 pm

I have only posted on the "New Member" area. I started brewing about 10 years ago, brewed maybe 5 extract batches and left it alone until this past spring. My wife purchased her dad's kegorator and cornys and some misc. extract brewing stuff. So I decided to give it a try again because I wouldn't have to bottle, my least favorite thing ever. I brewed (5) 5 gallon extract batches and realized this wasn't cost effective. Being that I am an engineer at a custom metal fabricator, I dove in feet first with an all grain RIMS system. I re-taught myself about electricity/electronics, thermodynamics, fluid dynamics, and about 10 other things I had forgotten since college. I read Mr. Palmer's book, and a couple others, scanned the web for design ideas, and basically tried to make the best system I could right out of the gate. In the end, Scrap Heap 2000 was torn down about 2 months ago after about (10) 10 gallon batches and I rebuilt it into the Scrap Heap V2.1. I am fairly pleased with the results. I hover around 80% efficiencies and have good control of my mashes and steps with my RIMS system. I am 3 batches in with the system shown below and have tweaks and things I want to add, but my basic system is what I wanted.

Please give it a look and let me know what you think and if you see something that may cause issues.

Basic Shot, my basement ceiling is too low to get a shot of it all in one go

ImageAnother Shot with my stupid coffee cup in it

My Rims and CFC and Piping

The Control Box for my HLT Fill and MLT Fill, it is controlled with Magnetic Reed Switches and some lock in relay wiring. Simple but effective. There is a magnetic float in the sight glass that triggers my zero PSI solenoid valves.

Better shot of my flow control, need to chase my wires, but I like the Frankenstein look!

My Fill Valve for my HLT, could be sexier, but it works.

Inside My Boil Kettle- 4500w ULWD element. Works awesome.

My Control Box.

Inside my MLT without the false bottom. I had to add a vortex breaker.

Inside again with the double false bottom and my sparge/recirc arm.

Here’s my Homemade Crusher. An old Millwright instructed me as to how to make a real barley crusher. 5.5” diameter smooth rollers, reduced as far as I could with a commercially available pulley. Works just awesome. 25+ Lbs of grain crushed to suit my system in about 2 minutes.

The Business end of my crusher. In the end, I spent a total of $35 for this beast.

The drive system
TedsBrew

Re: ScrapHeap V2.1 for your review and critique

Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:01 pm

Gloat worthy brewery.
HEY~!! It's a hobby~!! It's NOT supposed to make sense~!!
Cliff

Return to Brewing Sculptures