MLT question

Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:08 am

Hey guys,

I noticed while looking through the system pics that many of you have MLTs with no insulation around them. Does anyone know what kind of temp loss you get with that kind of set up? Also, if it's uninsulated, are you just recirculating often from the hlt to maintain temp?

I am experienced as a brewer, but a complete noob when it comes to putting a system together, so any help is appreciated!

Thanks

Bryan
Corporal Baloo, BN Army Mountain Division

"There once was a guy named Doc.... Shut the fuck up!" - Best limerick I've ever written
Baloo

Re: MLT question

Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:01 am

From what I've seen, an uninsulated mash tun needs some kind of heating support to maintain temp, otherwise it loses too much temp over the hour just sitting there. If one chooses the route of an uninsulated mash tun, I think the best method is a recirc through some sort of heating module versus direct fire or electric element heat stick. Although the last two methods can be accomplished successfully, I think there is a higher chance of scorching the mash. If the recirc method is done correctly, wort and not grain is what is being heated, plus the wort should be flowing while it is being heated, further reducing the chances of scorching. Another thing I think is important is that enzymes (perform the conversion of starches to sugar) are denatured at high temperatures. In a recirc or direct heat type of system how do you know if you are denaturing your conversion enzymes to detrimental levels?

I've been happy with using a well insulated mash tun. Sometimes I need to adjust the initial temperature, I accomplish that by pulling off a gallon or so of wort and heat it, carefully watching that temperature, then mix the heated wort back into the mash. That usually happens when I don't pay enough attention to the temperature calculations setting up the mash. When I moved to larger batches, I bought a larger picnic cooler.

My $0.02 -CH
Opinions are like assholes, everybody's got one, some are kinda shitty
cornhole

Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:53 am

Welcome, back, Baloo. Long time no see.
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

MLT question

Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:08 pm

Baloo wrote:Hey guys,

I noticed while looking through the system pics that many of you have MLTs with no insulation around them. Does anyone know what kind of temp loss you get with that kind of set up? Also, if it's uninsulated, are you just recirculating often from the hlt to maintain temp?

I am experienced as a brewer, but a complete noob when it comes to putting a system together, so any help is appreciated!

Thanks

Bryan

:nutterbutter: !!!

EDIT: DAMN.... classic smiley gone AWOL!!!

Mylo
"Life is too short to bottle homebrew." - Me

"HEINEKEN? Fuck that shit! Pabst Blue Ribbon!!!" - Dennis Hopper, in Blue Velvet
Mylo
Global Moderator

Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:23 pm

Depending the time of the year I may lose 2F to 5F but when it get's colder I lose up to 10F durring a 1 hour mash. Oh ya I use a converted beer keg. I am planning on useing some silver foil wrap and tape, but I hate the way it looks. :bnarmy:
In keg-a-tor-a-anator

Ocotoberfest, Sour Code Brown for Big Brew Day, Smoke Porter

On Deck
American Pale Ale and Dry Stout
My Dad always said "never confuse bravery with stupidity."
lunitick1976

Return to Brewing Sculptures