Freeze Condensing an Eisbock (Pics and Vids)

Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:38 am

Hey Folks,

Whenever my brother and I happen to be in the same town, we invariably stive to brew a collaborative bee together - something with shelf life that will last a few years. For our most recent collaborative beer, we decided to brew an Eisbock. Not only did we have to brew a doppelbock base-beer, but it also meant we had to do the freeze conditioning too.

Given this was the first time I've tried freeze condensing a beer, I decided to take several pictures to photo-document how I implemented the process. Additionally, I took a few videos with sound in the hopes of capturing when the beer was "slushy" enough to call the freezing complete.

The full step-by-step of what we did can be found here:

http://www.lugwrenchbrewing.com/2012/06/freeze-condensing-eisbock-photos-and.html

Please let me know your thoughts or comments on the process as I enjoy the feedback (preferrably as a comment on the blog post, as it is easier to track than here). Thanks!

Slainte!

-Okt
"The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind."
-Humphrey Bogart

"A good puzzle would be to cross Dublin without passing a pub."
-James Joyes, Ulysses
Oktober

Re: Freeze Condensing an Eisbock (Pics and Vids)

Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:37 am

I forgot to mention that I am curious if other Eisbock brewers saw any color differences between the pre- and post-iced beers? As described in the guide, I saw very little after a 15% condensing.

-Okt
-Humphrey Bogart

-James Joyes, Ulysses
Oktober

Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:55 pm

I definitely see color differences when I ice distill but I usually concentrate about 50%. You may not see much at 15%.

Tasty
yep, yep, yep, yep

Next up:
JBA Light
Fermenting:
nada
Serving:
Rauchbier (ugh!)
TastyMcD

Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:51 am

It makes sense in that what doesn't freeze is the stuff that's "not-water".. including those molecules and compounds that give the beer it's color. Some do get bound up in the ice matrix, but a lot get left behind. If I were hypothetically to have freeze concentrated hard cider to the point that it no longer froze, I would hypothetically have seen it get A LOT darker. You know, if I were to have done something like that.
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:23 am

TastyMcD wrote:I definitely see color differences when I ice distill but I usually concentrate about 50%. You may not see much at 15%.

Tasty

I was going off Jamil's advice in BCS to target 20% volume reduction, which was the only real reference I had heard about. Does a 50% reduction make the resulting beer over-the-top and too intense?

Thanks for the input!

-Okt
-Humphrey Bogart

-James Joyes, Ulysses
Oktober

Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:30 am

Oktober wrote:Does a 50% reduction make the resulting beer over-the-top and too intense?

It would depend on the beer, but since Tasty said that he usually does 50%, I'm assuming the beer he is using does not end up over the top and too intense...
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:46 am

If you freeze a doppelbock it could get intense really quick because the base is pretty intense on it's own. But if you start with a traditional bock, vienna, etc. you can push up to 50% and it would end up with similar intensity.
@Day_Brew
PFC - Chicagoland Engineering Div.
_________
Primary: Berliner, RIS (for barrel), Trippel, Wit
Keg: APA, Eng. Brown, Belg. Stout w/ Bourbon Oak, BDS, Brett Experiment
anday6

Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:57 am

anday6 wrote:If you freeze a doppelbock it could get intense really quick because the base is pretty intense on it's own. But if you start with a traditional bock, vienna, etc. you can push up to 50% and it would end up with similar intensity.

Good point. Thanks!

-Okt
-Humphrey Bogart

-James Joyes, Ulysses
Oktober

Next

Return to Brewing Equipment