My Dual Fermentation Chamber

Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:24 pm

So I decided I needed more fermenter space and I also wanted to be able to ferment at 2 different temperatures...So here is what I came up with

My design, drew it up in autocad...which turned out to be amazing everything just fit up perfectly!

And the build

Turns out I really needed two fans, one was not enough to cool the outer chamber...the inner chamber would reach its temp but the outer would not, So I added another fan below the other one but this one blew into the inner chamber, creating a nice circulation. you can also see the draft flaps I installed on the fans to keep them separated when the fans are off

and the final product with the nw controller for the fans

So far this thing is working great but the real test will be after tomorrow as I am planning a double all grain brew day to fill this thing :)
Stinkfist

Re: My Dual Fermentation Chamber

Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:48 pm

Can you post the stp file? That looks nice yet simple.
Jack Mormon

Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:18 am

Nice job Brotha! :jnj

Is there and air return back through the door to the fridge?
You might not need it but just a thought.
Keep on Brewin'
Captain Carrot

"Beer makes everything more fun!" (me)
captain carrot

Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:47 am

Looks good. What's the temp variation you can hold between the two chambers and how is that controlled? Can you lager in one and have ale in the other, or are you talking only a variation of a couple of degrees?
12stones

Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:09 pm

Jack not sure it will help much as it was designed to work with my specific mini fridge.
Stinkfist

Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:11 pm

captain carrot wrote:Nice job Brotha! :jnj

Is there and air return back through the door to the fridge?
You might not need it but just a thought.

Yeah there are two fans one blows from inner chamber and the other blows into the inner chamber, I tried with just one but the inner chamber would reach the temp before the outer so I had to add another luckily I planned for that and ordered two :-)
Stinkfist

Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:13 pm

12stones wrote:Looks good. What's the temp variation you can hold between the two chambers and how is that controlled? Can you lager in one and have ale in the other, or are you talking only a variation of a couple of degrees?

So far I have found it will work better if I lager in the inner chamber and do ales in the outer chamber. If the inner chamber is too warm it will take too long to register the temp change on the inner Carboy to cool the outer. But if I am at lager temps say 50 it works very well.
Stinkfist

Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:26 pm

Great looking build. I have been combing the net for an idea for my chamber build and really like what you have done. I'm an apartment brewer and space is limited, so I want to build a chamber that can cover both lager and ale temps.

First I need to find the proper refrigerator. Can you share the make and model of the one you are using?
Hedo-Rick

Return to Brewing Equipment