Re: Crap... did I screw up my kettle?

Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:23 am

BDawg wrote:Bar keeper's friend is your friend!

The friend of my friend is my friend... and it pays to be friends with your barkeeper!
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:30 pm

I would also like to add that I've never heard of anyone using BKF as a soak. It's designed as a scouring powder. Not sure what, if any, effect it would have by soaking.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:44 pm

Ozwald wrote:I would also like to add that I've never heard of anyone using BKF as a soak. It's designed as a scouring powder. Not sure what, if any, effect it would have by soaking.

"For difficult stains, apply Bar Keepers Friend liquid or make a paste with Bar Keepers Friend powder and let it remain on the surface but for no longer than one minute. "
Spiderwrangler

In the cellar:
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:16 am

spiderwrangler wrote:
Ozwald wrote:I would also like to add that I've never heard of anyone using BKF as a soak. It's designed as a scouring powder. Not sure what, if any, effect it would have by soaking.

"For difficult stains, apply Bar Keepers Friend liquid or make a paste with Bar Keepers Friend powder and let it remain on the surface but for no longer than one minute. "

When I think soak, I think PBW not paste. Syntax. Leaving the paste on for a minute sounds more like a normal kettle scouring application - if you start on one side & work your way around, it'll take about a minute to start rinsing from where you started scrubbing.
Lee

Ozwald
Global Moderator

Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:22 am

Right. The paste thing is from BKF instructions. They don't recommend using as a soak.
Spiderwrangler

In the cellar:
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:27 am

Hence my original comment :)

I discovered BKF about 10-12 years ago & have since built a shrine. I don't think I've had less than a 3/4 full can at any point in the last decade. A kitchen isn't a kitchen without it. I do wonder what it would do if you did dilute it down enough to make a soak. I don't have anything that I'm willing to try it on, but to see if it actually does anything would be interesting. BKF doesn't say not to do it, they just exclude it when giving general scouring powder instructions. I'm doubtful there would be any effect, but you never know.

Edit: I was just thinking about stainless steel & cookware. I have some brass fittings laying around from past upgrades, some a little dirty, some just stained up/discolored a bit. I'll give it a try today on a couple to see if anything happens.
Lee

Ozwald
Global Moderator

Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:07 am

Ozwald wrote:Hence my original comment :)

Yeah, I was backing you up, ass. :lol:
Spiderwrangler

In the cellar:
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:15 am

Ozwald wrote:Hence my original comment :)

I discovered BKF about 10-12 years ago & have since built a shrine. I don't think I've had less than a 3/4 full can at any point in the last decade. A kitchen isn't a kitchen without it. I do wonder what it would do if you did dilute it down enough to make a soak. I don't have anything that I'm willing to try it on, but to see if it actually does anything would be interesting. BKF doesn't say not to do it, they just exclude it when giving general scouring powder instructions. I'm doubtful there would be any effect, but you never know.

Edit: I was just thinking about stainless steel & cookware. I have some brass fittings laying around from past upgrades, some a little dirty, some just stained up/discolored a bit. I'll give it a try today on a couple to see if anything happens.

I just bought a can and used it on all the stainless cookware in my kitchen and it removed all of the limescale deposits on them. My water is super hard (average 205 PPM hardness as CaCO3), so every time I use them they get deposits. Then I used it to shine my copper sauce pot and it went from brown to "new penny" instantly. I had been soaking it in my old batches of Star San right before I dumped it, but BKF works much better.
Beer_Baron

PreviousNext

Return to Brewing Equipment