Re: Starter kits.

Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:03 am

Spiderwrangler wrote:
Ozwald wrote:+1 on the bench capper. Not only is it easier, you'll still be using the same one after your 4th wing capper goes bad or breaks on you. Completely worth the extra couple bucks.

I've not picked up a bench capper, but my Emily capper has lasted me through 6 years of brewing. Pricewise, I'm looking at more of a $25 bump to get a bench capper instead of the $10 mentioned earlier. It may be worth it, I haven't used one yet. When my current lever capper bites it, I may give it a go... and probably feel as dumb as I did the first time I used an autosiphon....

Sometimes you get a good one, but I've heard of more wearing out quickly than ones lasting years. The bench capper is worth every penny, both for use & longevity - I also find they make a better seal & are less prone to user error not getting a full crimp. We used one at the brewery I worked at in Michigan when our shitty 'bottling line' missed. So about every other bottle on some days. I picked one up immediately. It's best if you can find a place to permanently mount it, but a quick grip clamp works well too. I used to use mine on the kitchen floor, so it doesn't need to be bolted down, but you can go 10x faster if you do. I picked up one of those do-it-all corker/cappers, but I'll never get rid of my bench capper.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:22 am

archi77 wrote:As I've stated before, I am new to brewing. I was looking at all the different kits out there, I've noticed they vary greatly in both price and what they include. Any recommendations for what is needed vs not needed, and which kits are the "best bang for the buck"?

The biggest pitfall we ran into with our starter kit (the basic Brewers Best kit) was that we didn't realize what we were missing until our first brew day. The kit came with a hydrometer, but there was no test tube or other vessel that we could use to measure a sample; it had vinyl tubing, but no auto-siphon; it came with Easy Clean, but no sanitizer; it didn't come with a thermometer. It's easy enough to source or substitute out those omissions when you know they're not in the kit, but I find it a little less than honest when the kits are sold as "everything you need" to brew. So our first brew day was a little stressful as we improvised our way around those limitations, but then we bought the missing items and it's been smooth sailing ever since.

As far as "best bang for the buck" -- I'm in Canada, so your mileage may vary, but I *wish* I had purchased this kit from one of our regional supply shops:

http://www.ontariobeerkegs.com/Complete_Starter_Deluxe_Home_Brewing_Equipment_Kit_p/hbequipkit-3-complete-deluxe.htm

It comes with a 9 gallon kettle that has a ball valve and thermometer, all the basic equipment and 2 extract recipe kits... all for the price I probably paid to get the same equipment, minus the kettle.

Moral of the story: It pays to do your research and shop around.
amie

Fri May 03, 2013 5:05 am

You can get a cheap SS boil kettle from a Mexican market if you are blessed to have one near you. I'm also thinking that 10 gallons may be more than you need to get started. when I bought my first kit under guidance from my friend, my lhbs upgraded parts for me for a fee and gave me a discount on extras. Believe me, they want you to brew more so you'll come back. Don't be sold on secondary fermentations either. the 2nd carboy may be unnecessary.
La Ola es Mio!
SoCal Surfer

Fri May 03, 2013 6:01 am

amie wrote:The kit came with a hydrometer, but there was no test tube or other vessel that we could use to measure a sample

Water glass

amie wrote:it had vinyl tubing, but no auto-siphon

I just used a piece of tubing for years. It's pretty easy to start a siphon without, but the auto-siphon is pretty nice. Not exactly required though.

Those kits are nice to get you started & technically they do come with everything you need (except for a kettle & sometimes something to ferment in, but they usually disclose that in the info), just not all the extra stuff that makes it easy.

SoCal Surfer wrote:I bought my first kit under guidance from my friend

That's the best way to go about it if you know an experienced brewer nearby. My mechanic is starting to get the itch & I've been doing the same for him. Since I use my personal vehicle for work & put ~3000mi/month, it's a very nice deal. I get the 'brother-in-law' price & sometimes some freebies in trade for old equipment, info & when he gets his first real batch going (he tried a Mr. Beer xmas gift already) I told him I'd sell him hops & grain at cost since I'm buying large quantities at a time. Unfortunately it's not always an option. I didn't know anyone else who brewed until I had already been doing it for 5 years... and a couple years after that I found the BN.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Previous

Return to Brewing Equipment