Re: Using a HopRocket while recirculating at end of boil

Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:12 pm

No sadly. Though I just finished building mine. I can post pics later this weekend once I paint it.
On tap: dunkelwiessen, american brown ale
Fermenting: american barleywine
On deck: ? what ever is next
PSUHomebrewer

Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:31 am

Well I finally completed the bracket(after 3 redesigns). One thing I had issue with is I don't have a welder nor an oxy acet torch setup. I braised the joints with mapp oxy. One thing I forgot to do was switch the sides the bracket mounts to so the label would face outword(right now it's facing towards the post since the bk is on the right hand side).

On tap: dunkelwiessen, american brown ale
Fermenting: american barleywine
On deck: ? what ever is next
PSUHomebrewer

Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:29 pm

Ive got an extra 10"x10" shelf, so I'm looking at modifying that to hold the rocket. I'll update when I figure it out.
MNHazmat

Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:37 pm

I have the same setup that the OP is looking to build. I have found that pushing the wort from my pump through the hop rocket and then to my immersion chiller/whirlpool setup loses a lot of power and doesn't create an effective whirpool. Instead what I do is sanitize my hop rocket separately and start recirculating the wort with five minutes left to sanitize the whirlpool portion of my chiller, the hoses, and pump. I then hookup my sanitized hop rocket loaded with hops at the end of the boil and do a 30 min recirc with just the hop rocket and hot wort. After 30 mins i disconnect the hoses, drain any remaining wort out of the hop rocket into the kettle, and turn on my chiller and do a full speed whirlpool and chill down to pitching temp. The wort is still about 180 at the end of the 30 min hop rocket recirc before i begin cooling so DMS precursors are not an issue. Using this method I still get a nice hop cone in the bottom of my kettle and all the benifits of the hop pack and whirlpooling.

Also it should be noted that the amount of hops used in the hop rocket will impact the recirc rate. 3 ounces which is the max stated amount will greatly reduce the flow rate compared to 2 or 1 ounce, however to get a good whirlpool that will chill your wort quickly and form a nice hop cone, it works best to remove the hop rocket from the equation.
pvault98

Previous

Return to Brewing Equipment