3 batch with plate chiller

Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:49 am

Ex immersion chiller user but might go back to it. I have a chillhog super 20 and I'm having a tough time getting to pitching temps. As of now I put my carboys in the ferm. chamber to get to 66 then pitch later in the day. I use ice water pumped directly into the plate chiller and my output flow is very slow but still can't get below 72-76. I also have a pump that pushes the wort through the chiller. Thanks in advance.
log

Re: 3 batch with plate chiller

Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:25 am

I'm assuming when you say output you mean the wort not the cooling water. That is ok if it is. Now though are your recirculating your chilled wort back to the kettle or a single run through the chiller to the fermenter? Also you said you were using ice water, are your recircing that or using it as a single pass?

A plate chiller is designed for a single pass of each, especially wort so recircing chilled wort back to the kettle is not a good option. You can recirc chilling water, but make sure you have a large volume so you are using chilled water and not trying to cool with warm water (it is sometime advised to use your old immersion chiller in ice water as a pre billed and not recirc cooling water).

If all else fails it could be the chiller itself, not enough plates to handle the transfer. I have a therminator and have no issues with chilling, well I should say chilling down, I can overshoot my temp and have to add hot wort to bring it up. I use straight ground water without a pre chiller and run the pump about. 3/4 open or better and hot 66-68 in nepa even in summer.
On tap: dunkelwiessen, american brown ale
Fermenting: american barleywine
On deck: ? what ever is next
PSUHomebrewer

Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:32 am

PSUHomebrewer wrote:A plate chiller is designed for a single pass of each, especially wort so recircing chilled wort back to the kettle is not a good option.

Not necessarily true. Can be designed for single pass, but the more affordable lower plate options that we Home-brewers use may need multiple passes, especially in the summer or warmer climates. I recirculate until I am at pitching temps, desired.

I also recirculate for the whirlpool effect to clarify the wort and if I have 0 minute or flame out or whirlpool hop additions.

FYI.
Conical Fermenter - Amber Lager
Keg#1 Dunkel
Keg#2 Helles
Keg#3 Flanders Red
Keg#4 Star San
Keg#5 Star San
Keg#6 Star San
Kbar

Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:59 am

single pass both water and wort. Output meaning wort output. This chiller has more surface area than the blichmann I'm told. Strange that you're getting those temps. with the output at 3/4 while I'm using ice water and even at a trickle can only get down to 65. And by trickle I mean just barely coming out. I have it set up properly, Wort one way water the other.
log

Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:44 pm

you have it connected so its wort in and water out correct?
On tap: dunkelwiessen, american brown ale
Fermenting: american barleywine
On deck: ? what ever is next
PSUHomebrewer

Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:54 pm

yes water one way wort the opposite
log

Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:55 am

In theory its all just physics, based on the flow rates and temperatures. I'm in Texas and have very warm ground water, but with my Therminator and one bag of ice (16lb) to pre-chill the water via my two old immersion coils, I get to the low 60's. I have my flow rate of the wort at maybe 1/4 of "full" - not a very scientific measurement I know.
If I use more ice and slow it down (eg. for largers) I can get into the upper-mid 50's before I just get bored. Considering this is just seconds after the end of the boil, I'm pretty darn happy!

One thing that I've had an occasional issue with is a kink on the water out hose (I run mine out a window and onto the garden) which would reduce the water out flow (which I run at max). This would certainly hurt the chilling.

The Therminator comes with a chart or two that basically gives you what to expect at different temperatures and flow rates. Anything similar available for yours?
Corporal Mickp
mickp

Return to Brewing Equipment