Aluminum pot vs. Stainless Steel

Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:08 pm

Can I get away with an aluminum pot or is stainless steel required? Pros and/or Cons?
trextrex1029

Re: Aluminum pot vs. Stainless Steel

Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:08 am

You can definitely get away with an aluminum pot.

Aluminium Pros:
Fun to add the 'i' and say aluminium
cheap
better heat transfer than stainless
- Many nicer stainless pots have aluminum clad bottoms somewhat negating this fact
- This effect overall is a minor concern
more easily modified (drilling holes for ball valves and such is much easier)
cheap

Aluminum Cons:
Stainless is more pretty
Stainless will last longer as aluminum is somewhat soft
Aluminum is less inert than stainless
- aluminum oxidizes very easily making it safe to use (just boil some water in it before you use an aluminum pot the first time. If you do this correctly, you will create some very easy to read fill lines)
- aluminum is more prone to leaching
- for example, it is not safe to leave PBW or star san in aluminum for extended periods

If you have the money, you may be happier with stainless. My cheap ass likes my aluminum pots. I can afford them, which means I can still buy ingredients. I would buy more of them. I do not use clean in place, or let shit sit in the aluminum for extended periods. If I were wealthy, though, I would likely buy stainless. Alternatively, once the wort touches yeast, The only metal I let my beer touch is stainless (lower pH, longer contact times, leeching microorganisms).
Beer. Bikes. Cosmic B-fields.
adamK

Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:17 am

I'd go with Aluminium, and stash the cash for the purchase of SS down the road!

I lucked out on a sale on my first kettles, now have to upsize though, so just waiting to pull the trigger on a good deal.
Beer, what all good things are built upon!
Primary:
Lagering:
On tap: Wharfside Porter
On tap: Braw Jock
Planning: Sanguinity Amber Ale, Lauging Parrot Pale Ale, and Screaming Parrot IPA
brewindruid

Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:15 am

adamK wrote:it is not safe to leave PBW or star san in aluminum for extended periods

You shouldn't use PBW on aluminum what so ever. It will pit the hell out of it. Even short exposures will damage it.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:44 am

If your brewing indoors on an electric stove-top, your gonna wanna use the tri-ply stainless and aluminum pots so you can get even heat dissipation.
hoodie

Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:53 am

Thanks for the replies. I spotted some aluminum pots at a market. 8 gallon for $39.
Looking on Craigslist and Ebay but not finding great deals.

Want to start my first brew, but I have been told its too hot right now. I have read that ales need to ferment at less than 75 degrees or I will get shitty beer. I want to brew an IPA. Im am excited but restrained!!! Been wanting to do this for some time and have finally told my wife its happening. Look forward to learning from you all.
trextrex1029

Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:19 pm

hoodie wrote:If your brewing indoors on an electric stove-top, your gonna wanna use the tri-ply stainless and aluminum pots so you can get even heat dissipation.

This. My glass top electric stove won't boil 2 gals in a thin SS pot uncovered but will boil 5 gals uncovered in my 10 gal aluminum pot. I wouldn't have believed it until I saw it with my own eyes.
Did I Brew That?
Steve Urquell

Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:54 am

Ozwald wrote:
adamK wrote:it is not safe to leave PBW or star san in aluminum for extended periods

You shouldn't use PBW on aluminum what so ever. It will pit the hell out of it. Even short exposures will damage it.

+1 on that point. I find there is no need to clean a pot any further than a modest scrub to remove all trub and deposits. The patina isolates the wort from the aluminum and there is virtually no contact with the metal in subsequent brews. Don't ever scrub an aluminum pot and make it shine.
Martin B
Carmel, IN
BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Download Bru'n Water here:
https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Brun-Water/464551136933908?ref=bookmarks
mabrungard

Next

Return to Brewing Equipment