Faucets sticking

Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:23 pm

I recently started dispensing my homebrew from a home made kegerator, everything seems to be working fine, except for one problem. There is usually 2-3 days between times when I drink out of the keg, when I go back to pour the first glass, the faucet is pretty much stuck, I pull on it and it finally breaks loose and starts to pour, then it pours fine for the rest of the night. I got the faucets from an old system, but cleaned them extensively, I also run sanitizer through them before I put the keg on. So I think that the problem is the bit of beer left after the first session of drinking that makes it stick.
Has anyone else had this problem? is there a lubricant that I can use that will not affect the taste of my beer? Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
The Beast
The Beast

Re: Faucets sticking

Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:39 pm

The Beast wrote:I recently started dispensing my homebrew from a home made kegerator, except for one problem. There is usually 2-3 days between times when I drink out of the keg...

That is a problem! Drink more frequently!
"Make beer not war"

Currently fermenting: Firestone Walker Pale 31 clone
Conditioning: Nothing
On draught: Nothing

Watch episodes of BYOB TV: http://www.kofytv.com/byob-tv/archive/
BeerPal

Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:23 pm

Beerpal has one of the right answers :lol:

I had the same problem with my taps. The last time I took them apart to clean them, I used a little food grade lubricant (we use it on kitchen equipment at work) on the inside. Its been weeks with no sticking problem. Your LHBS or any of the online homebrew suppliers will have keg lube (same stuff) in stock for a reasonable price. It is handy stuff to have around, especially if you have a keg lid gasket that just won't seal. A very light coating (a little goes a long way) on the gasket will seal it right up. The stuff is totally tasteless and won't hurt your brew a bit.

Wayne
Bugeater Brewing Company
Bugeater Brewing Company
http://www.lincolnlagers.com
Bugeater

Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:03 am

Thanks, I have heard f the keg lube, but was not sure it was appropriate for the tap, I will give it a try.
The Beast

Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:00 pm

That's a great idea Bugeater. I will have to try that, too. Another solution would be to get VentMatic faucets, I hear they don't have the sticking problem since they are forward sealing. They are pricey though.

Brad
Bald guys rule.
BigBadBrad

Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:35 pm

I know this is off topic, but another great idea is the STEELERS pic,
Here we go Steelers, Here we Go!!
the beast

Return to Kegging, Bottling and Dispensing