odd metallic taste and sediment - what is it from?

Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:25 am

I kegged a Pale Ale back on November 6th after fermenting for two weeks, (I kind of rushed it a bit). The OG was 1.042 and the FG was 1.010 at the time of transfer to the keg. I let it sit at 34 degrees for one day then applied 10 psi C02 for 5 days. When I tried it on Nov 12th, it still had some sediment floating in it (even though I ran off a pint or so) and tasted a bit green yet, though not bad at all. I have now let it sit a couple more weeks and when I tried it last weekend, it tasted strange with a metallic kind of flavor. There also was still sediment floating in the pint I poured. The taste is just not the same as when I first tried it. This is my first attempt at kegging. I cleaned the keg with PBW, rinsed it out with hot water, and filled it again with OneStep. I also cleaned the keg posts and dip tubes prior to filling with beer. There were no detectable leaks in the keg. Does anyone have any ideas on what caused this off flavor and if waiting longer will let it clear? Also, why do I keep getting floating sediment particles, they should have settled out by now shouldn't they?
Fuzzy

Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:47 am

How clear is it? As far as having floaties, your first few pints will have some sediment in them, the draw tube for the beer is at the bottom of the keg. There are two fixes:

1. cut 1/4 inch off the dip tube
2. live with it

I have done both and like option two better

Dogger
"The immense importance of a pint of ale to a common person should never be overlooked" From the Canon of St Pauls Cathedral
Dogger Dan

Wed Nov 23, 2005 11:13 am

Dogger Dan wrote:How clear is it? As far as having floaties, your first few pints will have some sediment in them, the draw tube for the beer is at the bottom of the keg. There are two fixes:

1. cut 1/4 inch off the dip tube
2. live with it

I have done both and like option two better

Dogger

I can live with the floaties initially, but I have probably run 4 pints through it so far (albeit a week or two apart) and the floaties are still there. The beer does not look that clear.

Should I take it off carbonation and let it settle more (it's been 3 weeks since I kegged it and started carbonation)?
Fuzzy

Re: odd metallic taste and sediment - what is it from?

Wed Nov 23, 2005 11:19 am

Fuzzy wrote:I have now let it sit a couple more weeks and when I tried it last weekend, it tasted strange with a metallic kind of flavor. Does anyone have any ideas on what caused this off flavor and if waiting longer will let it clear?

John Palmer (howtobrew.com) says:
"Metallic flavors are usually caused by unprotected metals dissolving into the wort but can also be caused by the hydrolysis of lipids in poorly stored malts. Iron and aluminum can cause metallic flavors leaching into the wort during the boil. The small amount could be considered to be nutritional if it weren't for the bad taste. Nicks and cracks ceramic coated steel pots are a common cause as are high iron levels in well water. Stainless steel pots will not contribute any metallic flavors. Aluminum pots usually won't cause metallic flavors unless the brewing water is alkaline with a pH level greater than 9. Shiny new aluminum pots will sometimes turn black when boiling water due to chlorine and carbonates in the water."

code
codewritinfool

Wed Nov 23, 2005 3:15 pm

I am concerned, you may have an infection

Dogger
"The immense importance of a pint of ale to a common person should never be overlooked" From the Canon of St Pauls Cathedral
Dogger Dan

Fri Nov 25, 2005 4:31 am

Is this AG or extract? The extract "twang" does exist in my experience. I have had many extract brews that have had a metal taste. Since I switched to AG I don’t have this flavor, except from my mini kegs. I recently ditched my mini kegs because the lining in them was gone and my beer did have a metal taste from the kegs. You can try adding the extract late and see if that helps.

Brew On!
Peace!
pvignola

Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:13 am

pvignola wrote:Is this AG or extract? The extract "twang" does exist in my experience. I have had many extract brews that have had a metal taste. Since I switched to AG I don’t have this flavor, except from my mini kegs. I recently ditched my mini kegs because the lining in them was gone and my beer did have a metal taste from the kegs. You can try adding the extract late and see if that helps.

Brew On!

yes, this was an extract but it is not the "extract twang" taste. This is far more metallic than that.
Fuzzy

Return to Kegging, Bottling and Dispensing