PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Re: Poblano stout

Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:26 am

Maine-iac wrote:My wife and I recently went to Big Choice Brewing in Broomfield, CO and tried their line-up. I had their poblano stout and was really intrigued by how they got a subtle smokey flavor without the heat. The description said that they put de-seeded roasted poblano peppers in the secondary. I just brewed the stout base today (oatmeal stout) and am going to put the roasted poblanos in the secondary.

I am thinking 2-3 roasted de-seeded peppers for a 5-gallon batch. Any other thoughts?

Head brewer from Big Choice Brewing here. Glad to hear you enjoyed the poblano stout.

We use a pepper roaster to get a nice char on the outside of the peppers (you could broil or grill the pepper at home for a similar effect) before we pull out the stem and seeds. After this, we chop the poblano into smaller pieces and put it in a mesh bag. That bag is then put into the bright tank.

For a five gallon batch, I'd use one, maybe two, pepper(s). Taste it along the way and remove the peppers when you feel the flavor is how you want it.

Hope this helps.
BCBZach

Re: Poblano stout

Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:18 am

snowcapt wrote:Anchos are dried poblanos. Close, Oz.
I used smoked ancho powder with roasted poblano, serrano, and jalaleno in an amber ale, last spring. it is still taking up room in one of my kegs. Tried it the other day. It pretty smoky and the spice takes a bit to creep up on you. I like cooking and brining with it.
I used 2 of each pepper and 1tsp of the ancho powder.
Spkcy!

I tried some anchos in an amber. I crumbled five peppers and added them to the boil. It's okay, but I am not a big fan of amber beers. I like the brining idea!
"Mash, I made you my bitch!" -Tasty
Dirk McLargeHuge
Global Moderator

Previous

Return to Brewing Ingredients