Re: nettles

Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:54 am

It's definitely spring in Montana. I could tell from the snowstorm yesterday morning. I had to put my rhizomes in the fridge drawer so I wasn't sad every time I opened the door. I've got my fingers crossed for early May, though!
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Sat May 11, 2013 12:44 am

got to brew with some nettles the other day! here's what i did

swedish pilsner 5kg
german munich 0.3kg
german wheat 0.3 kg
belgian biscuit 0.3kg
mashed at 66c for an hour.

boiled for 90min with 15g of magnum (14.4aa) at 60min and 160g of nettles at 15 min. whirlpool for 10 min and turned my cooler on. got it down to 18c in about 30min. this gave me 20 liters of worth in my fermentor reading 1.062

pitched wlp001 fourth generation and got it up to 19c where it sits now!

i used 2g of gypsum in my mash cause that's what i usually do with this recipie when i do my pale ale. we got super soft water here, everything is below 30ppm or something. got the chart on my broken computer but its Örebro in sweden, skråmsta water plant if you're in to that!
No beer is good in your cellar, it's only good if you drink it with your friends!
nicsub

Sat May 11, 2013 5:03 am

nicsub wrote:skråmsta water plant if you're in to that!

I just want to know how to pronounce that :D
Lee

Ozwald
Global Moderator

Sun May 12, 2013 9:22 am

Ozwald wrote:
nicsub wrote:skråmsta water plant if you're in to that!

I just want to know how to pronounce that :D

Hahaha! the å is like the a in a british 'all', and it has to be loooong like ååååååååå :D
No beer is good in your cellar, it's only good if you drink it with your friends!
nicsub

Sun May 12, 2013 12:17 pm

:lol:

If I ever left Montana, Sweden would be the first place I would look at. I've thought about it many times. The language looks pretty tough though. Not as bad as Danish, but still intimidating to say the least. I thought about Australia, but it's just too damned hot. Never understood how my fellow Irishmen managed to stay there all these years. Putting me in the sun is a lot like putting a fork in the microwave. :D
Lee

Ozwald
Global Moderator

Fri May 31, 2013 7:40 am

Haha my dads malaysian blood ain't helping me much. sweating like a pig at 22c! must have gotten that from my mom :)

so, got to try my experiment. was way to low on the nettles, they're there but you gotta know what you're looking for. probably need to bounce up the bittering as well.

nettles got a nice flavor, you get that kinda forresty, moss flavor. its hard to explain but really good. had more of that in last years batch i think.

got some more nettles and some pine tips. gonna try them out when i get the time for it! :)
nicsub

Fri May 31, 2013 9:57 am

nicsub wrote:sweating like a pig at 22c!

If that was the absolute hottest it got all year, I'd be a happy man. But my happy range is more like 16c to -30c, but I've worked outside in -45c on the mountain & it really wasn't all that bad.
Lee

Ozwald
Global Moderator

Fri May 31, 2013 3:38 pm

Ozwald wrote:
nicsub wrote:sweating like a pig at 22c!

If that was the absolute hottest it got all year, I'd be a happy man. But my happy range is more like 16c to -30c, but I've worked outside in -45c on the mountain & it really wasn't all that bad.

You sound like a guy I would have liked to camp with years ago. Got caught in a blizzard at 13,000 ft on a climb years ago. Spent 3 days sitting in a tent playing cribbage and taking temperature and wind speed readings every couple hours. Hit a low of -45°F and wind in excess of 70 mph (that's all the higher my anemometer would go). We actually enjoyed ourselves.
Bugeater Brewing Company
http://www.lincolnlagers.com
Bugeater

PreviousNext

Return to Brewing Ingredients