Fresh hops in January

Thu May 09, 2013 9:57 am

I am getting married in early January and my future wife wants to use hops in the bouquets, decorations, etc...

Does anybody know of anywhere on the planet that hops are harvested in the Dec-Jan time frame?

I'll have plenty of dried hops for the decorations, but she is hoping for fresh hop cones.

Thanks
brewpunk

Re: Fresh hops in January

Thu May 09, 2013 10:45 am

Perhaps you might want to get in touch with some of the folks from the down under.
Not sure if it works that way, but it may be worth a shot.
Any of you Aussies care to chime in?
Cheers, and remember-
MARRIAGE IS NOT THE ANSWER!
Congrats, anyway. I guess.
snowcapt

Thu May 09, 2013 11:09 am

Aussies will be in the Summer in Dec. They were harvesting hops around late April, I believe. Perhaps some potted hop plants? you could dig up some rhizomes and get them started in some pots to get them nicely grown by your wedding. Just an idea hope that helps Brewpunk

:jnj -Pork
Bottled: fresh hop pale ale
On tap: Moose bile strong ale
In the cellar: Taqu'il's Fat Black Imperial Stout
Lagering:
In the fermenter: Moose drool clone
In the works: Taqu'il's Fat Black Imperial stout
PorkSlapper

Thu May 09, 2013 11:15 am

How about taking some fresh hop bines and freezing them at harvest time. I know I've seen them in the warehouses at Hop Union a few months after harvest. Not sure how long they will last like that though.

Maybe there are some ways florists use to preserve flowers that would apply here?
Bokonon

Return to Brewing Ingredients