Label mistake - Saaz not Simcoe

Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:47 am

I ordered a bag of whole cone Simcoe from Freshops, and was about to measure it out when my wife noticed that the label looked different from the old mostly empty bag I pulled out of the freezer. The label of the new bag said Simcoe, but the description and AA% listed underneath matched Saaz. I opened it and it was definitely a noble hop, not an American hybrid. Freshops was super nice about it and sent me some replacement Simcoe right away, and apologized that their labeling software had a glitch in it. I will still buy from there, but I wanted to tell anyone who has ordered from Freshops to double check that you have the right kind before you toss it in the kettle.
Beer_Baron

Re: Label mistake - Saaz not Simcoe

Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:41 pm

Did you get to keep the Saaz too?
Sergeant, BN Army
R.I.P. Rat Pad ('05-'12)

Fermenter: Mayotoberfest
Kegged: Common, Cherry, & Apple Pie Ciders, Falconer Pale Ale, Strawberry Blonde
On Deck: German Pilsner, Chinookee Wookiee
TheDarkSide
Global Moderator

Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:03 am

TheDarkSide wrote:Did you get to keep the Saaz too?

They said don't worry about sending it back, and sent me some more Simcoe right away. I had to make some adjustments to my brew session because I didn't have enough Simcoe for the IPA I was planning on making but I had enough high alpha American hops to make do. I only brew ales, so I'm wondering how to use it...
Beer_Baron

Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:29 pm

Beer_Baron wrote:
TheDarkSide wrote:Did you get to keep the Saaz too?

They said don't worry about sending it back, and sent me some more Simcoe right away. I had to make some adjustments to my brew session because I didn't have enough Simcoe for the IPA I was planning on making but I had enough high alpha American hops to make do. I only brew ales, so I'm wondering how to use it...

Blonde, Alt, Kolsch as an ale, German-style Wheat (as opposed to American-style), sneak them in a Porter (N.B. would be a nice compliment in that one), possibly a twist on a Belgian style... you've got options.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:40 am

Ozwald wrote:Blonde, Alt, Kolsch as an ale, German-style Wheat (as opposed to American-style), sneak them in a Porter (N.B. would be a nice compliment in that one), possibly a twist on a Belgian style... you've got options.

Thanks Ozwald! I get stuck in a rut sometimes making IPA, Pale Ale, and American Wheat. I can use it for a Blonde "lawnmower beer" for the summer heat...
Beer_Baron

Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:59 am

Today I am brewing a rye cream ale that uses mostly saaz hops. Nice crisp slightly spicy summertime lawnmower beer. You might give that a try. Just add a pound of rye malt in place of a pound of 2 row in any good cream ale recipe and use Saaz for flavor and aroma.
Bugeater Brewing Company
http://www.lincolnlagers.com
Bugeater

Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:25 pm

Beer_Baron wrote:
Ozwald wrote:Blonde, Alt, Kolsch as an ale, German-style Wheat (as opposed to American-style), sneak them in a Porter (N.B. would be a nice compliment in that one), possibly a twist on a Belgian style... you've got options.

Thanks Ozwald! I get stuck in a rut sometimes making IPA, Pale Ale, and American Wheat. I can use it for a Blonde "lawnmower beer" for the summer heat...

Try Saaz, NB, EKG.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:11 pm

My house beer is a Grisette finished with Styrian Goldings and Saaz (10 and 0 min additions). The combo is killer and it really plays well with a spicy Belgian yeast.

I've made a Cream Ale (-ish, that's just the closest style) with Saaz and Tettnanger and loved it. Dry hopped with 2 oz of Saaz. I wish I had this one left for the summer.
BN Army Private First Class

Fermenting: Lucky Day Pale
Kegged: Buckwheat Bulgur & Barley Saison, Kölsch, Styrian Celia Grisette, Single Dubbel, Winter Maple Strong Brown Ale
Alchemywunderkid

Next

Return to Brewing Ingredients